Gauging Interest - Eastern Red Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

As many of you know - I've been looking for ERC saw logs, I've depleted 3 farmers around here and am about to deplete another. Farmers tend to gather up cedars when they clear property, in hopes of one day making a fence row. What typically happens is after a few years, their plans change and the are willing to sell the cedar logs for fair market value.

After I cut enough to complete my pool/deck I was wondering if anyone would be interested some cedar lumber, I can custom cut (thickness) to your specifications. You typically don't more than 100 BF for a large cedar blanket chest. These logs have been stacked for over two years so they should be pretty dry, but not completely dry.

I was thinking somewhere in the .80 - .90 a BF range. Reply if your interested, lumber would not be availible for several weeks.

Thanks

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Jeff,

If there is any clear cedar I may be interested. The idea is for a cedar strip canoe, but its tough to find eastern red cedar that is very clear.

J

jeff...

Jeff,

If there is any clear cedar I may be interested. The idea is for a cedar strip canoe, but its tough to find eastern red cedar that is very clear.

I suspect a cedar would have a hard time growing without any branches. Clear cedar at any length would be a hard find indeed

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,
I also would be interested in 150 or so bd ft if there is that much available.
Thanks,
Tony ...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeff, I would be interested in about 80 bf.(2 nieces wanting hope chests). I have a GMC 2500 shortbed p/u so could haul about 2000lb+ if there are people around the Raleigh area that need some brought down the road (I live north of Goldsboro in Wayne Co). I could haul some, but want to reserve some space for whatever other goodies you may have at the time.:lol:

PS, I have no idea what wet ERC would weigh per bf

Go

J

jeff...

Jeff, I would be interested in about 80 bf.(2 nieces wanting hope chests). I have a GMC 2500 shortbed p/u so could haul about 2000lb+ if there are people around the Raleigh area that need some brought down the road (I live north of Goldsboro in Wayne Co). I could haul some, but want to reserve some space for whatever other goodies you may have at the time.:lol:

PS, I have no idea what wet ERC would weigh per bf

Go

I can haul about 1000 BF of ERC withmy tandem axle trailer and still have good braking capability 1/2 ton GMC 1500 PU.

You should be good for about 650 BF providing the lumber isn't too long.

Looks like there is some intrest in the .80-.90 a BF price range, so let me see what I'll have to work with - I still have to get the logs here.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Jim - as soon as it dries out a little, I'll shoot you an email so you can come over and test drive the WM. I have this cedar to mill and a Red oak to QS. Cedar is a lot easier to work with than a big old Red Oak, but your more than welcome to come over for either one or both.

Thanks

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You should be good for about 650 BF providing the lumber isn't too long.

Thanks

When I pull off the tool box, I can legally hold a about 3000lb (I have hauled 3250) If I am the only occupant, but like you said, the length is the kicker. Getting most of the weight over or in front of the axle is the problem. I can pull 8200 (total, no additional load in the bed) on a trailer, but don't have one at present. Have towed trailers and 30' boats before, so pulling one is not a problem to me as long as it has good tires, axle bearings. legal lights and plates. If the order is big, maybe we can rely on some of the combined NCWoodworker resources to make it happen. (Note: If anyone I haul for gives me a beer for my trouble, it will also cost room for me to bunk on the floor for the night!!)

Go

PS. the other wood I would be looking for is maple (100 bf) or another light colored wood like ash, white oak, etc if the price is right. Too many projects and not enough time and $$. Guess that puts me in the majority here!! At least I'm among friends.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening all,
I expressed earlier my interest in this, thought I would add that I live out in South East Durham county, have a 3/4 ton Dodge that can haul a good load, if needed.....for this venture or for others that may benefit the folks in the group...always willing to lend a hand!! :icon_thum
Happy New Year to all...
Tony ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS