Gardening question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
We have a flower bed that we've redone, the wife planted a ground cover called stonecrop. Problem we're having is the weeds and grass that keeps growing up around it. The stonecrop is spreading ok, but we're having to weed every couple of weeks. Is there something we can put down in the bare spots that would limit the weeds and grass, but not keep the stonecrop ground cover from spreading?

I am one lousy gardener, in fact I really hate it, but we need to get the front of the house looking decent. (as I put off mowing again)

Steve W

New User
Steve
Rob, one thing that springs to my mind is pre-emergent weed controller. One product that is in this line is the Scotts fertilizer with Halts, but I think you can get just pre-emergent (I'll let an expert like DaveO take it from here). This will keep seeds from sprouting. If you're getting weeds coming back from the roots, you need to kill them. Judicious application of Roundup will work: I'd use some sort of piece of wood or other barrier if things are close so that you don't spray Roundup on the stonecrop.

My 0.02...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve is correct use of a pre-emegent herbicide will keep new weed seeds from germinating, but it will not eliminate the ones currently there. To control the weeds currently there you need a post-emergent herbicide. Stonecrop or Sedum is a succulant broadleaf plant. If you are having problems with grassy weeds, you can use a grass only slecetive herbicide like Grass-be-Gone (anything containing Flusifop) and won't harm the Sedum. If you are having braodleaf weed problems, your best bet is hand pulling, or vetry careful use of a non-selective herbicide like Round-up. That will also kill the Sedum. You can carefully paint the solution onto the weeds for better conrol over spraying.
HTH,
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS