Garden Bench

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Help....

SO, got a request for a garden bench that will be 4ft long. They like the angled back and from that kinda roll from the seat down towards the legs with a 1x2 look for slats. A slight concave (is 1" standard?) for the seat also.

I am having a really hard time finding plans or designs that I can build with my limited space constraints and tool selection at a reasonable price. It is ok to make this out of stock pine lumber from the big box stores as it will be outside under a covered porch and have solid colored outdoor stain put on it. This will not be out of rough lumber as it will make cost too much for the project and budget.

If my description makes sense, does anyone have plans or templates that would be willing to share?

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Jay Bates has a good plan for a bench here: How To Make A Horse Themed Bench
It has a slight curve for the seat and a angled back. He based it on his original plan for a bench, but that bench didn't have the curve in the seat. This has a horse theme to it, but you could adapt it to have regular slats on the back. He has some free detailed plans in the link, as well as a video constructing it.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I have this available as a Sketch-Up model if you're interested. It could be easily stretched to your desired 4 foot length. It is derived from a plan I bought from Woodcraft. (U-bild plan no. 917). The original plan called for Douglas Fir 2by material and used screws and dowel joinery. I modified to mortise and tenon but that is a personal choice. I think it could be built using only a few hand tools (e.g jig saw, circular say, drill, etc.

Attachments

• single3d.jpg
    single3d.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 150

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I'm building this bench right now. If you don't have a router, preferably both handheld and a router table, don't try this. There's a lot of linear feet that need different radius roundovers, and without the roundovers the bench just won't be comfortable to sit in. You'll also need 3 5'-6' pipe clamps.

It calls for a 1" radius in the seat slats. I'm making mine out of white oak, and it is one heavy bench. I just like white oak. It will be under cover, and I'm considering no finish at all; just let it weather naturally.

Attachments

• Classic Garden Bench.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 207

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS