Garden Bench FINALLY finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Ok, so I started this project a while ago, but had to keep putting it on hold, until I decided I was going to have it done by the end of Memorial day weekend!

So I started with some Cypress I got from Ivey in December:

(Don't worry, I didn't use ALL of it for this bench)

I built the sides a couple of months ago:

Then finally got around to the back & putting it all together this past weekend:

Here is the final piece, complete with stain:

Now I'm off to build some Rockers! And a table.... And some more chairs.... And another bench.... And what ever LOML wants....:icon_thum

Regards,
Mike

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking bench! So what are you soaking the feet in, more stain? I can't wait for the cypress boards I got from Ivey to dry....

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Yepper, soaking the feet in the stain. From what I've read, that's the best way to get the end grain to soak it up the most efficiently. Use its natural wicking properties to get it protected -from wicking!:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice, I have got a limited amount of Ivey's Cypress that is itchin' to become something. Y'all with your beautiful Cypress pieces aren't helping my decision process.
As far as the feet soaking, you're right on the money, but stain provides very little protection. You might consider placing them in a more protective sealing finish like Polyurethane, Marine varnish or even thinned Epoxy (don't leave them soaking too long in epoxy or they might have permanent feet attached to them)
MTCW,
Dave:)

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Nice looking bench, Mike! Looks comfortable, just waiting for someone to plop down and read a book on.

tv

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That looks great, The cypress is some good looking wood. Nice clean looking assembly.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
:wsmile::wsmile:Very nicely done, Mike!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

Everything looks really tight and sturdy!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

That cypress sure is pretty wood.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on all the next pieces!

Wayne

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
As far as the feet soaking, you're right on the money, but stain provides very little protection. You might consider placing them in a more protective sealing finish like Polyurethane, Marine varnish or even thinned Epoxy (don't leave them soaking too long in epoxy or they might have permanent feet attached to them)

I thought about that, and although I'm using the Cabot's Australian finish, I'll still probably give it a coat (or 2) of Spar Varnish, and soak the feet again, as well. Especially since LOML is thinking about putting it on our concrete patio.:eek:

Regards,
Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I thought about that, and although I'm using the Cabot's Australian finish, I'll still probably give it a coat (or 2) of Spar Varnish, and soak the feet again, as well. Especially since LOML is thinking about putting it on our concrete patio.:eek:

Regards,
Mike

Cabot Australian oil is most likely a long oil varnish, so that is much better than soaking it in an oil based stain. I would still give the feet a good dose of epoxy to really seal them up well. As far as the rest of the bench I would stick with the oil finish as it is easily repairable. Spar varnish will flake off in time an require a good sanding to be able to apply another layer. A flexible oil finish won't provide as much protection but another coat will be nothing but a scuff sand/wipe on situation.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Great job on the bench Mike. That wood sure looks better than it did the night we put on top of your SUV.
It's amazing what you folks can do with rough cut lumber.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Great job, Mike. That will serve you well.:icon_thum:icon_thum Cypress is so easy to work with and Ivey has good stuff.

:wsmile:

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Cabot Australian oil is most likely a long oil varnish, so that is much better than soaking it in an oil based stain. I would still give the feet a good dose of epoxy to really seal them up well. As far as the rest of the bench I would stick with the oil finish as it is easily repairable. Spar varnish will flake off in time an require a good sanding to be able to apply another layer. A flexible oil finish won't provide as much protection but another coat will be nothing but a scuff sand/wipe on situation.

Thanks for the info Dave, this is my first experience with Cabot Australian oil so I wasn't sure if I really needed a top coat or not. I'll definitely break out the epoxy some time this week to seal the leg bottoms.

Mike

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Great job Mike. I've had one on my "to build list" for a while and yours inspires me to get started. I can only hope mine turns out half as good.:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS