Garage partition - Looking for ideas & help

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
All,

I am looking to separate my 3 car garage with a partition/curtain, of sorts:
Garage Curtain for Dust Protection and Heat Retention - Third Stall Woodworking

I don't necessarily want to use drop clothes, because I am sure dust will make its way through it, so I figured either adding some PVC/vinyl/plastic sheeting of sorts as a backing, might be a better route to go. Another thought was to use strictly 10mil (?) plastic sheeting (too thin?), then install grommets on top, so I can use the cable (that is in the instructional link above) and fish it though them.

I would like to keep "all" of the dust in the 1 car garage side. where I can then use an air filtration system, like Bill Pent'z air cleaner: Dust Collection Research - Air Cleaner to remove any of the remaining particulates.

Of course, I would also be using a DC. Until I am able to fit a CV/Oneida into my budget, I am planning on using my HF motor with Rikon impellar, along with a metal cyclone (Home Page - 6" inlet), Wynn filter, and a drum.

My dedicated shop area is: 13' (w) x 19' (l)
Curtain size needs to be: 10' 6" (or 11') tall & 23' long (wide) - This is taking into account 1' - 1' 6" of extra length, so it isn't so taut.

Ceiling height is 10' 5" (maybe 10' 6" ??)

If anyone has experience creating something like this, or suggestions on how to "best" make this curtain/divider...etc., I am all ears.

I am thinking the curtain cost shouldn't be more than $50 - $100 (?) + accommodating hardware (cable, clamps, turnbuckles, etc.)

I don't really have a budget... BUT would like to keep the cost reasonable, maybe under $400 in total.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Again... thank you in advance!

Rory

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I simply put up a 2x4 framed wall so I could insulate and run HVAC system. Also ran power in the new wall. It wasn't very expensive for the wall. I also put a man door between the garages.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I sectioned off a small section of my garage using at track and 6mm plastic. The plastic is 10' long which was perfect for my application. I can take some pictures this weekend.

I used this track: Amazon.com: Room/Dividers/Now Ceiling Track Set - Medium, For Spaces 6ft - 12ft Wide (White): Home Improvement

This is the plastic I used: Amazon.com : Husky Plastic Sheeting Clear 6ml 10ft x 50ft : Paint Drop Cloths : Garden & Outdoor

I used washers and duct tape to keep the plastic from tearing on the clips.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A framed wall with plenty of blocking, plastic sheeting (10 mil), and a stapler and you're off to the races. It would allow you to really seal things off, any kind of curtain approach would be "good" but not "great". The only bad news is having to buy the lumber to frame a wall, not cheap right now.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Bas...Jeff,

Unfortunately, a framed wall is not an option. :(

Yes, I'd easily consider that approach, but with other people having a say, as to what goes on in this house... well, you know the routine ;) lol!!

Mike, I looked into that track before.. forgot about that as an option, so I am glad you put that idea back in my mind. IF you don't mind, I would like whatever pictures you can post. Thanks

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Now I remember why I left the track idea out of the equation.

As you can see, in the attached photo, I have that lovely 1" conduit running across the ceiling. This is why I was leaning more towards the steel cabling with tension turnbuckles, vs the track. :\
With the cable idea, I could put some "slack" in it, then possibly take some 1' x 23' of the remaining plastic sheeting.. and create another "curtain" on the other side of the main curtain... creating a better seal around the conduit? If you can't get a visual of that, I can try drawing something...

Rory

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 312

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I got a big drop cloth, soaked it in Borax, hung it on a pipe. It separates my woodworking from my car side. I did the fire retardant as I am forever grinding or welding and sparks do cause fires.

I suggest STRONGLY not to use poly sheet. One tiny spark and "poof" it goes up in invisible flames, but catches everything else on fire. Poly sheet is actually very dangerous. There are other sheets that are far safer. Vinyl for instance. A pocket on the bottom with a chain in it can keep it to the floor.

Yes, a flap on the top works pretty well.

You can also build rigid wall panels that hang from hooks or are held in place with leveling feet, so they are easy to move. Even that blue foam board is safer than a poly sheet.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Here's another thought. Buy some metal conduit (EMT) and attach it to the ceiling. Get some cheap vinyl shower curtains at the Dollar Store, hot glue some magnets every foot or so along the top edge, fold over the edge over, staple. Magnetically attach curtain to the conduit. The electrical conduit running perpendicular to the divider conduit should not be an issue.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Isn't there some temporary system (Bora?) for sectioning off sections of a reno site with some metal pipe threaded to tighten against the ceiling that uses plastic sheets?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I got a big drop cloth, soaked it in Borax, hung it on a pipe. It separates my woodworking from my car side. I did the fire retardant as I am forever grinding or welding and sparks do cause fires.

I suggest STRONGLY not to use poly sheet. One tiny spark and "poof" it goes up in invisible flames, but catches everything else on fire. Poly sheet is actually very dangerous. There are other sheets that are far safer. Vinyl for instance. A pocket on the bottom with a chain in it can keep it to the floor.

Yes, a flap on the top works pretty well.

You can also build rigid wall panels that hang from hooks or are held in place with leveling feet, so they are easy to move. Even that blue foam board is safer than a poly sheet.

D@mn.. I'm glad I posted this. That is the LAST thing I want to happen.

*FIRE*

I don't weld, grind, or do any metal work, so hopefully that won't ever be an issue, but I still want to rule out something stupid like that.

Definitely looking into something else.
Here's another thought. Buy some metal conduit (EMT) and attach it to the ceiling. Get some cheap vinyl shower curtains at the Dollar Store, hot glue some magnets every foot or so along the top edge, fold over the edge over, staple. Magnetically attach curtain to the conduit. The electrical conduit running perpendicular to the divider conduit should not be an issue.

Bas,

I haven't come across any shower curtain that is 10' - 11' long (my ceiling is 10' 6"), I THINK I saw something that was 8' Amazon.com: AmazerBath 12 Gauge Heavy Duty Crystal Clear Thick Shower Curtain Liner with Heavy Duty Clear Stones and 12 Grommet Holes Waterproof Bathroom Plastic Shower Curtain Liner-72 x 96 Inches: Kitchen & Dining
so I'd have to somehow attach another 2' - 2' 6" to the bottom part. Maybe attach with some sort of extra heavy tape? Not sure.

All of the above are good ideas. I'll probably have to combine some of the above ideas and make some sort of Frankencurtain! *evil laugh*

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Isn't there some temporary system (Bora?) for sectioning off sections of a reno site with some metal pipe threaded to tighten against the ceiling that uses plastic sheets?

This "Bora" wall divider?

:p

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Build a "wall" from the ceiling down to whatever height will accommodate the track and curtain.
Or use a "roll up" curtain/s.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Threw this together, in draw.io

image_2021-05-28_144108.png

Side view and front view

Side view: Short curtain (1' - 2') with dust bristles (velcroed on and/or whatever material is decided upon). I think that would help a lot, in blocking most of the remaining fine particulates that the DC and air cleaner haven't cleaned/blocked/sucked up. This short "curtain" will be permanent & not move, unlike the larger "curtain," which will move/slide across the track.

Front view: One end might be permanently attached to the far side of the garage. Not sure, but that is what I am thinking. This would really leave the 1 side with any potential gaps, where dust could get through, but I would find a way to prevent that the best that I can.

For now, the attached picture is just a loose concept.

No clue what material to use, for the "curtain" (or dust bristles?), but it would definitely need to prevent dust from going through it. Plastic of sorts? "Waterproof/fireproof" drop cloth with grommets, or some sort of (thick) "fireproof" plastic/rubber/vinyl with grommets?

Thoughts...suggestions...etc., always appreciated.

Thanks again... Rory

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
This "Bora" wall divider?

:p
Not quite. What I was referencing is used to keep (drywall?) dust out of the rest of the house. The (YT) home renovator in Canada recommends the system to isolate off the work area. Home RenoVision DIY

Maybe it is from FastCap

FastCap 3rd Hand Dust Wall: http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/view... FastCap Dust Door http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/view...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
ZIP wall or equal really useful for all kinds of projects. 1/2 hour and you work area isolated without installing anything permanent.

Zip Wall

They sell at Home Depot and alike

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
WOW.. $28 (cheap) for the commercial version, which is flame retardant

Not sure how "good" 4 mil is, or how long that will last, but at that price...
I'll definitely use this for the entry door into the house, from the garage.

Thanks for the info!

I'll continue looking at the other pieces/kits, so I can get a better idea of total cost, as well as overall project design, etc.

Thanks again! Rory

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I never use 4 mil, we just use 6 mil. It holds up at least 20 months, the longest project I had in a Hospital we had it up that long. One other thing you can use 10 mil but then, you need to add more verticals closer together. Anyway Super useful system when you need to isolate an area. Some of my friends use it to create a temp spray booth.

sandfarm

Joe
User
If you want to use a curtain, think about the curtains you see on chicken houses. I know it comes in many different widths.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Here are some picture of my partition. The idea was if anything was to come off the lathe it wouldn’t it my vehicles. Haven’t had to test it yet and I hope to never have to.
4310216A-961B-4C49-A95D-A09823732F9B.jpeg

EEBAC5F1-813D-4506-8EA2-49838D85379A.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS