Garage Heater Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy, have you considered adding a sub-panel to your main panel to get more room?

Already done. :eek:

The main problem stems from too small of a main panel. The house was built in '88 and they just saved a couple bucks by going mid-size on it.

Any electricians looking for a side job?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Insulation will make more impact than anything you could do.

My 20x24 detached shop is well insulatedand has an insulated roll up door. I have a construction style heater which connects to a standard gas grill propane tank that I use during winter.

I haven't needed the heater yet this year (because the shop is insulated). When I need it, I'll run the heater full on for maybe 5 - 10 minutes, then turn down to low setting while working. Unless we have a brutal winter I will use 1 - 1.5 cylinders per year.

I have a window A/C unit for summer cooling.

My neighbors have larger shops and they use wall mounted units with natural gas heat.

Chuck

alleng

New User
allen
i have a wood burning heater, it is also usefull for getting rid of mistakes when i cut something wrong:gar-Bi

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
i have a wood burning heater, it is also usefull for getting rid of mistakes when i cut something wrong:gar-Bi

Oh, there's someone else that makes mistakes enough to feed a wood heater? I thought I was the only one. My wood stove in my house gets those now, I used to do that in my old shop before I insulated it and I always had plenty of wood to start the big stuff with. Now that I have a better shop, I don't need the wood stove or the mess, but sure still have enough mistakes to feed one. :confused_

lottathought

New User
Michael
I have had my eye on this thread.
I have a 2 car garage that is not insulated.
I do plan to insulate but that is going to require the shop being cleared out to where I can get to the walls first. Therefore, it is likely going to be a spring thing.
I have been using a kerosene heater...but I have the same issues with fuel, flames and smoke in the shop.
Looks like however, based on your comments, best to suck it up one more year till the walls get padded.

sediener

New User
Steve
You got me thinking with this thread...

Other than the obvious fire issues, can you think of any other problems using one of those propane patio heaters in the shop? CFO benefit, it will pull double duty for when we have guests over on the patio in the fall.

- Steve

stave

New User
stave
I have a 700 sq' shop, originally a garage. I use a monitor propane heater. Built a rolling stand with the heater mounted about 30 or so inches above the floor, two 20lb propane tanks fit in a tray below the heater and behind it. The heater is mounted to a concrete backer board. Works well and is not very expensive to use.

Stave

joec

joe
User
Funny story with my propane top heater. I was finishing a project in my unheated garage shop a couple of winters ago and trying to finish that very cold day. As I worked feverishly on the project, I smelled something burning. I looked down and saw my pants starting to turn brown and smoke as I had crept closer and closer to the heater to stay warm.

DavidF

New User
David
I have a Dayton 16A 220 V electric at about 7' off the ground. Works very well and heats up quickly. If it's very cold I turn it on about 30 mins before going out. I recon about 0.50 per hour to run so don't leave it on. I like to work in about 68 Deg unless I'm spraying WB lacquer then I let it get up to 70+ and turn it off. 20 x 20 insulated with R13 and insulated garage door.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Jeremy,

I really do not think you want infrared heat. You are correct in that it heats the object it is pointed toward. Unless you are going to have one for each work station you will be cold standing anywhere except where it is pointed.

I assume natural gas is not already being used in your house. If it is I think that is the way to go.

My situation is almost exactly like yours and I use propane for heat. I can reach 60 degrees in about 30 minutes. I then turn the heat off and rarely turn it back on unless it is really cold outside. Oh, I have a small fan pointed at the ceiling to help move the warm air back down.

I seem to remember you saying, in a post, not to long ago that you will be moving in just a few years. This might be a consideration in just how far you go with this.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
50 cents an hour? Is that a good price? At first I thought that was high, but that would be about $12 a day $360 a month assuming it runs 24 hours a day which shouldn't be the case. Still, is that cheap or is it high comparatively?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Jeremy,

I really do not think you want infrared heat. You are correct in that it heats the object it is pointed toward. Unless you are going to have one for each work station you will be cold standing anywhere except where it is pointed.

I assume natural gas is not already being used in your house. If it is I think that is the way to go.

My situation is almost exactly like yours and I use propane for heat. I can reach 60 degrees in about 30 minutes. I then turn the heat off and rarely turn it back on unless it is really cold outside. Oh, I have a small fan pointed at the ceiling to help move the warm air back down.

I seem to remember you saying, in a post, not to long ago that you will be moving in just a few years. This might be a consideration in just how far you go with this.

Well, I opted to try the heater that was posted by Woodartz. At that price, it's worth the gamble. If not, you'll see it on here for sale soon.:gar-La; My shop is not insulated, but does have a room above it, a wooden door, and lots of tools along the wall (that helps, right?):rotflm:

I don't plan to live at my house another decade, and hopefully not another five years (at some point, I need more space and a dedicated shop!:icon_thum)

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I have been thinking about getting one of these ductless split heat pump systems like Travis mentioned for my place. I think you could take these with you when you move? They don't appear too hard to install (famous last words, I know - BTDT).

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Those definitely make some heat. The only downside I've heard (and don't have personal experience with) is that they heat the air -- whereas an infrared heater heats the objects -- which supposedly is better.

I have and use a small infrared. The upside is that it heats objects as you say. It also does so instantly; I can go out into a very cold garage, turn it on and be comfortable right away as long as there is line of sight. But tools and materials are still cold. The line of sight can be an issue; large tools and benches will create shadows where your feet and legs will not be warmed. Infrared works great for me as I am usually working on something small in one spot and not using big iron much.

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
I bought a small (three burner) ventless propane heater which is mounted on the wall of my turning area. It heats a very uninsulated area just fine. I of course still wear my overalls, etc. I do not leave the unit on when I am not in the shop.

The by products of propane are water and CO2. The ventless heaters have an O2 sensor so if they are in a well built structure they will not continue to burn if the O2 level drops. Well built and tight do not describe my shop.:wsmile:

I have the small (chest high) tank filled about once a season depending upon how cold the winter has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS