Garage Door Spring Re-Tensioning Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
The only challenge to the job is figuring out which way the spring tension is and act accordingly when you hang on to your adjustment bars. I have two 3/4" diameter bars, about 18" long with ground down ends to fit snugly in the spring coupling.

The spring isn't going to hurt you. It's captive on the bar. The bars you use to tension it with, if they slip out of the coupling or rotate in the opposite direction you expect can surprise you, and possibly hurt you.

As Clint Eastwood (a relative of yours?) said in one of his movies...a man has to know his limits.

There are various pieces of info on the Internet on how to do this. Probably even a YouTube video or two.

My guess is its a service call charge to have someone come out and do it. $75? It's a 5-10 minute job for someone that's comfortable doing it.

Some doors have two springs. 15 minute job then.

Garage Door Fixed!

Thanks again to all who replied to this post. Early responders voted for Garage Door Co., later responses for self repair.

I opted for path of least resistance (call Door Co, then watch what they did, next time do my self). As the the DIY'ers pointed out, it really isn't that difficult, once you've seen how its done, and with what tools. The tensioning bars are just 1/2 rods with a grip at end.

But, there is always a bit of a learning curve, first time out, and I just didn't want to attend the "School of Hard KNOCKS" :gar-Bi

Thanks to those who actually gave a recommed (Phil and Co, ) I went with the person who came out fastest...Garage Doors Unlimited (Scott Smith). they are located in Apex, and Nam Brann gave great service! He (Garage Doors Unlimited) are also listed on Angies List ( although, I did not have access to scores/reviews).

Great learning experience.

Thanks again for all your advice/posts/anecdotal stories!

Matt

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I've tightened the springs on one of my doors once. I recall thinking that this is pretty easy when done carefully...and would be nearly trivial with the right tools. The spring is captive on the axle.

I have done this as well with the assistance of a friend. The spring in my case was captive and it was pretty easy to get the tension to balance the weight of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors