Garage Door Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I need to replace the lower panel on my garage door. I'm thinking on using douglas fir for the frames and was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions. Also any recommendations on where to get the material would be great! I've checked with Queen City Lumber and HS Lumber and douglas fir is running at about $45 for a 2x6x16. If I can find something a little less expensive it would be great! Apparently SYP is not available, only SPF or douglas fir.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Ed,
DANGER ED NELSON, DANGER!!!
Be carefull! A wooden garage door is very heavy! DAMHIKT:eek:

3 years ago when I rehab'd my MIL's garage door I needed to replace the panels and the bottom rail on the bottom section of the door. I used a PT SYP 2X4 for the rail and cut a slot in it for 1/4" MDO replacement panels. 3 1/2 deck screws into pocket holes secured the bottom rail to the styles. I got the straightest stock I could find, put it all together the same day and left the door's weight on it for ~a week while it dried out and it stayed straight. Primed and painted it and sold the house. It won't need to be replaced for a while.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Trust mee, I know the door is heavy! Two car garage, the door is 18' wide. We had a nasty power outage a couple years ago and needed to go somewhere. At the time both cars were in the garage and I had to lift that beast manually!!!

By the way, where did you get the 1/4 MDO?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Come to think of it I think the MDO was 3/8" because I remember having to recut the slot a little wider. It came from a cabinet shop in China Grove who did our kitchen 11 years ago and I couldn't tell you where they got it. Check sign makers and cabinet shops.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ed: Look for a builder's supply for SYP. A 2 x 8 x 20 SYP will be less than $45, but you will have to deal with warping. Around here (Goldsboro Builder's supply) you can also get a 16' or 20' 2 x 4 SYP for the top rail (shortest 2 x 4 in SYP is 16'. Narrowest 8' SYP is 2 x 8).

One method for changing out the lower section:

After you have made the panel, raise the door enough to put a couple scissor/bumper/bottle jacks under it and lower it onto the jacks. Raise the jacks some (about 4" - 6") and then clamp the next higher panel to the rails with C-clamps above and below the rollers so it won't move. (Depending on the spring tension, it could go up or down). Disconnect your bottom panel and lower the jacks, allowing you to replace it and to raise the new section into place for attaching.

Don't envy you this job. Hope this helps.
Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
As for the SYP that long, Queen City carries a good stock of it. They usually stock that in #1 grade. The fir they usually carry is finger jointed, as that's about all that's available anymore, so warpage isn't usually an issue with it. Even a stain grade fir door is now just finger jointed KDYP with a fir veneer. Time was we framed with fir, but it's been just about logged out for that, and fast grown spruce is the norm nowadays.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Stick with fir and make sure you get some nice, vertical-grain stock. That wood will last 75+ years on the bottom if properly maintained (and that's what I've seen in the Northeast with snow resting against it).

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I would use pressure treated if I could find a reasonably dry piece. Second choice would be pine from the framing lumber pile. You do not want spruce, it will not last (but it is light). The more resin in the pine the better. You need to use Kilz before painting, however. Fir may be as good but I think yellow pine will work just fine. I did this once and the panel I made was still fine when we sold the house.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would use pressure treated if I could find a reasonably dry piece.
Jim

Might look for KDAT (kiln dried after treating) treated Pine. It is generally a better grade than standard PT Pine, and it is dried to at least 15% so it is ready for outdoor use without the warpage and shrinkage.
Dave:)

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
We replaced the lower panels on one of Dad's garage doors. True, it was a one car wide door. But it was easy for me. Come home, help dad remove the panel. Go away. Come home two weeks later, help dad put in the new panels.

Piece of Cake! :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS