Garage Door Insulation Project

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
HAHAHA............ yeah, I am thinking about making a TV Series called "This Old Car" I will transform a old Ford Esquire station wagon into a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house -------- :p;)

Truly unfortunate about Hawaii seems like lots of people come here with no intention to be part of society, they just come here to be homeless in better weather. In Honolulu this is an issue, the other islands not much.

Is that in comparison to some of the "re-purposed pallet living" there in HI? :p:cool:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
HAHAHA............ yeah, I am thinking about making a TV Series called "This Old Car" I will transform a old Ford Esquire station wagon into a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house -------- :p;)

Truly unfortunate about Hawaii seems like lots of people come here with no intention to be part of society, they just come here to be homeless in better weather. In Honolulu this is an issue, the other islands not much.
I was just going to hit an emoji, but quickly realized I needed all of them - I will tune in for "This Old Car" ha ha
I remember in 1993 how bad the almost "transient" population was in HI, I can't even imagine what it is like now - but I tell everyone - look around you see unbridled wealth and poverty and the "in between" (maybe middle class) seemingly is getting smaller!

Reactions: Oka

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have never worried about insulation for my garage door. My door is wooden I thank that makes a difference as opposed to a metal door. Metal transfers heat & cold more efficiently than wood. Have any of you insulated a wood door? My shop is in my basement and I get quite a lot of cooling & heating radiating from my ducts. In addition I have a gas space heater for those really cold days.

Pop

lastgoodusername

New User
lastgoodusername
That is a nice clean looking installation. I am going to be installing a 9' wide door in the next few days.I will be insulating it as well. Hope mine turns out as well as yours. Johnny

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Good project. I had been putting this off for years, it was on my "when I get around to it" list. Then last summer on one of those killer heat days I was working in the shop and the window ac and fans were making it barely tolerable. I had moved my MFT so it was now near to one of the doors, and when working there I could feel the heat radiation off the door. I touched the door and it was very hot and all that heat was radiating into the shop. I had to do something now. So a quick trip to Lowes and an short bit of time later my doors were insulated. What a difference. I had always associated the doors with winter heat loss and was pleasantly surprised at how much it helped in the summer.
If you haven't done it yet, stop, spend the few dollars it takes and get it done, you will appreciate it.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
In my dim recollection of things long in the past, I remember insulating an overhead door I had. I simply used foam board held on with Liquis Nails, and taped clear plastic over the windows; crude and quick but effective.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I saved time when I built this house and installed insulated doors.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Finished up garage door insulation last night. Used NASATech 1/8" R15.6 and VHB double faced tape. My wife and I worked bottom to top and right to left, E clipped all the bolts holding the hardware. We are extremely pleased with the result. With the heat pump it was was 30 degrees outside last night and 70 inside the cave. The NASATech insulation is crazy reflective. It made my wife and I sweat working with it. You get near it and you can feel YOUR OWN HEAT reflecting off of it back at you.
IMG_20201123_010727435.jpg

IMG_20201123_003138607.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'd like to do the same thing, if only I had my garage doors installed on the barn. Very clever, and thanks for the photos Jeff,

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looks Excellent Jeff! I am incredibly jealous of your woodstove. . . .

Thanks... It's my wife's stove. It's a Fisher Momma Bear model. It's the "newer" model has the heat shield on the bottom and back. This model Fisher is one of the very few wood stoves that is approved for mobile home installation.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
When I talk to the garage door opener installer

First, nice job - a craftsman did it!
Second: Our chickens at the insulation on our factory insulated GD and the price for a section of that foam was "just too much!" I went with the Green stuff from Lowes - slipped nicely in place. The Basement and Shop doors are old fashioned low headroom Kickout Doors and were a pain to fit the insulation into - what with the diagonal bracing and the hinge mounts and opener mechanisms to work around. Those had two little widows/lights that I built frames for so as to 'double glaze' them with a piece of clear plastic (that screws in place). I suspect this bit does little for the Arrrggh! Values but they do serve as a place to collect Stink Bugs.
Lastly, the "the garage door opener installer" reference. That one actually charges for a particular service does not an expert in related technology make. I had some fellows pouring a slab to replace the dirt 'floor' in my Walk-in Pole Barn cum Insulated Workshop who had no idea of how Pythagoras squared the corners of the forms he would pour. And, I recall the days when emissions control first became a thing and mechanics would 'fix' idling issues and such by plugging one or more of the 'extra' tubes GM or Chrysler had run between the carb and manifold or valve cover, etc.

Hell, I can lift 32 square feet of insulation with my middle finger!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS