Garage door insulated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
After installing a heater in my garage I had to do something about my garage doors.

I was going to just get insulated sheathing and cut it to fit. But the panels on my 18' garage door are all over 48" wide. My waste would have ended up being almost 50%!

So I went with this kit from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_222457-1047...rentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=garage+door+insulationb

Installation was a snap. I had 3/4 of it done in about an hour. The last 1/4 of the door has windows that are inset. The panels would have been too thick to fit. So I routed the panels to remove the region where the windows are. I also did not want the white styrofoam to show from outside so I used this to black out the windows: http://www.lowes.com/pd_66804-74130...&Ntt=gila+privacy&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151
Note that the link is not quite right. The stuff I used was plain black and only cost ~14.

You have to get the insulation shipped but shipping was only 7$ and it arrived in > 3 days!

Total cost ~125$. The doors look like they came from the factory. There is a vinyl on the back that hides the styrofoam and provides some protection. Unfortunately I never really measured the heat in the garage so I won't be able to give an opinion on how good it performs.

And now for the most boring picture I think I have ever posted:

69CG8969.JPG

View image in gallery

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Hey Salem,
I just did the same, with the same! ;-)
I saw a link to the Lowes kit posted here a few days ago and ordered it, got it in 2 days. As you said, it was quick and easy to install.
My shop is well insulated, I should have done the doors long ago. The wood heater keeps the temp around 70 during the day (I let the fire go out late afternoons) and with the outside temp in the mid twentys at night, the shop was usually at around 52 at 6 in the morning when I go out to start a fire in the heater.
After insulating the door the morning shop temp is 58-60, and I'm using much less wood in the heater during the day. The $100 for 2 kits was money very well spent. :)

Oh, I would post a pic but it would look identical to yours!

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
thanks for posting. i've been thinking about doing this for a while now, but i think it's time to pull the trigger and do it!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Do they make kits for smaller doors?

Also I would like to keep my windows but cover them with some film to let the light in and prying eyes out.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Mike, the kits have panels that are 4.5' or so and come with 8 panels. This is enough for one 9' garage door. So I needed two kits. I ended up paneling over the windows because I did not want to leave 1/4 of the surface area uninsulated.
Salem

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, that does look great, much better than the typical pink sheets glued to the door. Of course, today is going to be 60 degrees....figures.... :)

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks Bobby. It does have a seal like that but I am not sure how well it seats. I will check.
Salem

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Salem :thumbs_up that kit certainly makes for a neat installation. I used a "sandwich" of foil faced foam against the door skin of my 16' wide door to reflect radiant heat from summer sun away and pink foam on the shop side. This does leave a Mary Kay cosmetic scheme on the door surface as Bas said but winter heat loss and summer heat gain is greatly reduced. On the "eventual project" list I intend to skin over the pink stuff with white corplast panels. :wsmile:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Dang, I wish I knew about those kits, I bought the pink sheets of insulation and had little pieces of that stuff floating all over the place for a long time after cutting it to fit.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Salem,

What kind of garage door(s) did you apply the insulation to, as in steel, wood, wood framed masonite panels (which is what mine is)? I've considered replacing my door, a 16 footer, with insulated steel doors but they are pretty expensive.

Thanks,

Chris

eyekode

New User
Salem
And my door would be pink if I could have found it in 10ft boards :). Oh and I have bits of it all over the place. Remember I routed away 3/4" on over 1/2 of the area of 1/4 of the door. Heh, lot of fractions but trust me that is LOTS of material to remove!
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Chris,
I don't know anything about garage doors :). But mine are steel. The panels look made for exactly my kind of door. They are 1 1/4" thick and the perfect height to snap into the braces on the back of the door.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
I don't think the ping color would really bother me but I do like the vinyl cover on the back. I think it will help keep them from getting gouged.
Salem

bluthart

New User
Brian
Do they make kits for smaller doors?

Also I would like to keep my windows but cover them with some film to let the light in and prying eyes out.

Mike -Lowes used to carry "wallpaper for glass" that was translucent, like a frosted glass. It was easy to install and I'm sure you can find it easily.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am going to have to install these as well. I bought a $20 space heater from Lowes that will keep the garage above 60 deg even when it is in the teens outside. If I insulate the aluminum door it will be heavenly inside.

Thanks for posting; I was about one or two projects aways from cutting pink foam on the table saw and getting tangled with double sided tape...

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Salem,

How many panels are in each package; I would like to install that but I don't know if I need 2 or 3 sets?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors