Games for kids using ball bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
I've come into quite a few 1/2" chrome plated ball bearings. Looking for suggestions on wooden children's game or toy projects I can build that uses them. Ideally it would be enclosed so my son and his bride don't have to find them all over their house. Kids in question are 9 and 11

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
On thingiverse.com there are a bunch of designs for marble games that are 3D printed mostly. You might get some ideas from those for something that could also be made out of wood. Or just use your imagination once you get some inspiration from those designs. Something along the lines of pochinko (spelling) game with metal pegs replaced by wooden ones and various values for receptacles at the bottom. After bouncing off many pegs there's no telling where the ball will land. That could be made fairly self contained.

Another idea is one of those tilting maze games with a tilt knob for horizontal and vertical tilt. Negotiate the maze to get from one side to the other with obstacles (holes) in the 'wrong' path. Seems I saw plans for one of these not long ago in one of the woodworking magazines - forgot which.

Last edited:

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Here's a treasure trove of marble machines and related stuff.
The rest of the site is fascinating as well.http://woodgears.ca/marbles/index.html

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. Now, off to the shop and build a marble (ball bearing) pump to feed a gravity gizmo. I'll take some pics as I go and post them when I get done. With fishing season fast approaching, that might be a while but at least I now have a plan to pick away at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors