FYI on GMC tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Most of you likely know this, but since there is a posting on the Raleigh CL for a GMC TS for $119, I thought I would post this info...

GMC was the brand on some low end tools sold at one of the big boxes a few years back. They didn't sell them for long. I made the mistake of buying one of the scroll saws on sale and took it back the next day. I actually still have a GMC sharpener from there - a slow speed wet wheel that was under $30 brand new. I still use it for mower blades and whatnot and have put the initial profile on some cheap tools with it, but it is loud as can be and sometimes the wheel bounces a little because the outer housing is plastic :eek:. Anyway, I think the TS was something like $79 new and often returned at that price. Buyer beware...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
yeh I've looked at them. they make B&D look like festool!:rotflm: they may be HF castoffs.:gar-La;

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The only thing GMC has ever sold with success is their $9.95 sander , through Amazom. It was during their "buy a selected power tool and get 20% off selected accessories." Most got the sander and a Freud SD-608 for 20% off. I often wonder how many ever actually fired up the sander.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I confess. I actually bought their biscuit joiner when they were marked down. I have used it on 4 projects. It is a not the best built tool but so far it has handled my needs.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Had their router table, with the built in router motor. Paid 139.00 at Lowes, on clearance, sold it for 50.00 and built my own. But I must say that it actually worked ok for what I used it for. HF sells a look alike for 199.00.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
a friend bought the TS at $79.99 during a seasonal sale at Lowes, the blade wouldn't maintain it's height setting while cutting one sheet of 1/2" ply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS