FWW Bookcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Just completed this Bookcase that was on the cover of FWW #264. I think it turned out pretty well, but it was the hardest thing I have built yet. The foot is twelve separate pieces with the feet made up of 2 pieces that are mitered at the corners and shaped. I actually burned my first try at the foot. The second try came out nice and square.

Comments and critiques always welcome.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bookshelf_small.jpg
    Bookshelf_small.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Bookshelf2_small.jpg
    Bookshelf2_small.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 262

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The foot is twelve separate pieces with the feet made up of 2 pieces that are mitered at the corners and shaped.

Nicely done David. I read that FWW article and began floundering in the section about the foot construction with mitered "gun stock" joints and splines. Wow, you nailed it!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very, very nice, David. I saw that piece in FWW and really liked the two little drawers at the top. Yours came out great.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Wow that is a great looking bookcase! I love the continuous grain drawers. And the wood selection really shows it off! Also like the drawer pulls. Did you turn them?
Looks like maple case, walnut drawers, and sapele feet? Why not match the feet and drawer wood?
Salem

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Very nice work, sir. It's beautiful. Did you build it from the article alone?

The feet were a challenge to get right for the plans. I might have done the whole base a little differently but I didn't have the authority to change the design.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone!

The foot is Sapele with a Rosewood bead between the foot and case, the case is Maple with Walnut drawer fronts and rosewood pulls. I did turn the pulls myself and I used walnut for the drawer fronts because I had that nice piece sitting around for a while and really wanted to use it!

I bought the plans form FWW, but really the hardest parts of the build are explained in detail in the article.

I did seem to me like the plans were a little overcomplicated, but i learned a lot building that foot....twice!

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Thats a beautiful piece, when I saw the first picture I thought you were posting a copy of the FWW article. You had me fooled for sure.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I[t] did seem to me like the plans were a little overcomplicated, but i learned a lot building that foot....twice!

Sorry about that. The trick is to supply enough information that even a builder with little experience can build them. You wouldn't believe how many times there are details I have to put into plans when I think a woodworker should be able to figure it out because they are a woodworker. If I simplify the plans too much, they get all kinds of calls and e-mails from people who complain because there aren't enough details.

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Well, I just realized that you are that Dave Richards! LOL. The plans were great, I had page 7 and 8 tacked to my shop wall for about 3 weeks while doing that foot, don't think I could have done it without those. It was definitely my skill level that made it hard, not the plans or the design. I am glad I did it because I did learn a lot, especially about how to cut accurate miters on something besides a picture frame:).

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Yes, 7 and 8 were very important! Like I said, it was definitely my skill level that made this a difficult build for me. I didn't notice until after I bought the plans that they were in the advanced category! I have only been woodworking for about 2 years, so my perspective on plans/design is going to be quite different from someone with a lot of experience. I do think this got me over that hump of being scared away from a project because of a design that looked complicated, which I have been guilty of in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS