TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Anyone familiar with 18th Century furniture that incorporates sulfur inlay?

Has anyone ever tried to recreate sulfur inlay on a piece?

I just found an article from 2015. I've been interested in sulfur inlay furniture for some time, and was already familiar with quite a few of the known pieces out there. I was actually shocked by the extensive number of pieces that are illustrated by the author. Many more than I expected.

For those interested in 18th century German - American (Moravian, Pennsylvania German etc.) furniture, this is really an amazing group of pieces.

http://www.chipstone.org/article.ph...ennsylvania-German-Furniture:-New-Discoveries

Woodmolds

Tony
User
MESDA has a few pieces in there collection with sulfur inlays. I don't recall how many, but it was pointed out on a tour I've taken several times. I remember them having several pin holes in them and some missing pieces. It seemed very fragile.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
3193A0B5-C335-4572-B889-026E09E2A411.jpeg

Here’s a photo of a sulfur inlay on a chest at MESDA. I find it attractive. I like the pinholes and texture. I’ve never tried it but best to do it outdoors. It can be stinky.
This high chest of drawers is attributed to Joseph Wells a Quaker cabinetmaker living in Alamance County before 1800.

https://mesda.org/item/collections/chest-of-drawers/20629/

Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Charlie, Thanks for the links. That’s a great looking piece.

I need to make my way down to both MESDA and Old Salem.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
Instead of melting the sulfur and all the environmental risks associated with it, could you mix elemental (powder) sulfur with a clear resin?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I used sulfur containing compounds a significant amount during my tenure in graduate school in chemistry. Sulfur is interesting as the smell offends most people (common sulfur compounds include skunk oil and garlic) however when you are exposed daily for an extended period of time, you become sensitized. Once sensitized, the aroma is actually very sweet and a smell that is enjoyable.

In in regards to toxicity, sulfur compounds are generally not that toxic. They are very rapidly oxidized to sulfoxides and eliminated from the body quickly. Heating sulfur does generate a very low concentration of hydrogen sulfide gas which is toxic but if you work in a well ventilate area it s relatively safe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS