Furniture Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Cherry Dresser built to customers dimensions.
30" wide X 15" depth X 48" height.
Primary wood is Cherry, secondary is poplar.
0118150944a.jpg

18" X 24"(mirror size) mirror frame. Cherry
2015-01-14 09.20.48.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tony two beautiful pieces.

I am Speechless! (and it takes a lot ;))

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I don't believe I have ever seen cherry with that much figure. That chest is just absolutely awesome.

Roy G

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Man that is one looker...

I'm a bit confused on the use of miter joints on the carcass though - never seen that before. Could you please explain what holds the bottom legs / trim and top / trim in place

Thanks

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Very nice job. Beautiful wood. Details of construction would be nice.

My guess is the bottom legs are indeed mitered together, probably with a spline. I've made a few feet like that and cut them on a bandsaw. Those look tall for that. The traditional way is to make a molding and then cut the pieces from it. The moldings at the top and bottom I suspect are applied. I think it's basically a box with spacers at the top and bottom that moldings are applied to and the top is fastened to. But I didn't build it so that is a guess.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Tony that is awesome. Great figure. What did you use for a finish?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great job, Tony. The curly Cherry drawer fronts really make it stand out. Same question as Jeremy: solid wood or veneer? Is the design original or did you use existing plans? Would love to see some of the WIP pics, if you have them.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Man that is one looker...

I'm a bit confused on the use of miter joints on the carcass though - never seen that before. Could you please explain what holds the bottom legs / trim and top / trim in place

Thanks

There are no miter joints on the carcass. The drawer blades are dovetail dadoed into the sides.
1217141914b.jpg

The mold at the top & bottom is nailed into the frame behind it. The legs are screwed from the bottom. The top is screwed to the frame below it. I don't think I have a picture of the leg. I may have one similar here I can photograph if you want me to.

Tony

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Very nice job. Beautiful wood. Details of construction would be nice.

My guess is the bottom legs are indeed mitered together, probably with a spline. I've made a few feet like that and cut them on a bandsaw. Those look tall for that. The traditional way is to make a molding and then cut the pieces from it. The moldings at the top and bottom I suspect are applied. I think it's basically a box with spacers at the top and bottom that moldings are applied to and the top is fastened to. But I didn't build it so that is a guess.

Pretty much spot on, except the leg material was run in linear pcs on the molder first then cut out, then mitered. The legs are pretty tall at 5-1/2", but I felt they looked appropriate given the 48" OAH.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Great job, Tony. The curly Cherry drawer fronts really make it stand out. Same question as Jeremy: solid wood or veneer? Is the design original or did you use existing plans? Would love to see some of the WIP pics, if you have them.

The mold and leg profiles are from a Thomas Elfe piece. The size was specified by the client. I used five drawers because I felt the height needed it to look proportional.

2014-12-17 19.15.19.jpg2014-12-19 13.34.30.jpg2014-12-28 20.09.33.jpg
1228141051-1.jpg1228142009-1.jpg0106152115.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments, Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS