"Full flow" DC connector

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Powertec brand. Can cut of course, but gee whizz!

20210128_092937.jpg
20210128_092937.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
If you use this style adapter on the inlet of a dust collector to allow a pair of hoses (or ducts) to be connected to the smaller ports, you will certainly have clogging if a source is chips and the "safety" bridges will block the air flow. I had them on the inlet of a small dust collector and quickly cut them out since I had clogging develop when exhausting both my jointer and my planer. My recommendation is to cut them out to insure free flow.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Of course I did, and even sanded off the sharp edge.
It is actually the merge for the two 4 inch hoses from my band saw to the 6 inch blast gate and drop.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Not worried about clogging, but working for maximum air flow. I would bet those kill 100 CFM.

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
That grate is there to protect the impeller from anything large. Many people connect their "dust" collection up to a floor sweep.
If something large were to get sucked into the impeller. BANG - now you destroyed the impeller fins or burned up the motor.

If you have a cyclone in front of your impeller - cut away.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
another good reason to put a Thien sperator in front of your dust collector! Nothing hits my impeller......any more! :cool::cool:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If one wants a grate, they should buy a grate, not have one supplied, not in the description, for a Y .

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
If one wants a grate, they should buy a grate, not have one supplied, not in the description, for a Y .
They may not be there to act as a grate, Im thinking they may have been added to improve material flow in the tooling. Large, thin walled, injection moulded parts require very high pressures to fill the tools evenly, these would certainly help with that. Since these parts are very low volume (woodworking parts etc, compared to almost any other commodity ) This would be a cheap, easy way to improve quality and add very little cost to the tooling like an additional fill point.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Any baffle or diffuser in a Wye, Tee, or air dividing fitting is can have fins, vanes added to assist in assuring the air separates and moves equally at that fitting. They are added to prevent potential cavitation in the duct. That said, this looks like poor manufacturing.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Not poor manufacturing at all, it is "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" manufacturing! They assume the buyer won't see it so it is okay.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS