Frustrating joints

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Has anyone else ever used this system it's frustrating the heck our of me. My joints keep coming our ro tight. Ive watched the video arteaat 25 time even took it to an experienced woosworker and he had trials. My joints below arw just ugly lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210327-191947_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210327-191947_Chrome.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 20210218_131543.jpg
    20210218_131543.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I don't have one and have never seen one in person, but my guess is you have one or more of the following issues: (a) your router bit is dull or the wrong size, (b) you are trying to move the router and cut too fast, (c) your stock is moving in the jig, (d) the template has burrs, (e) the guide bushing is not sliding properly in the jig (wax it), (f) your guide bushing is the wrong size for the template (in both diameter and height) or the template was not milled to the correct size, (g) your router bit is not in the center of the guide bushing- a router plate/insert or guide bushing problem.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks like I did that. Everything Allen said, but a suggestion, take a couple pieces of poplar or something like that, then only do 3 of the pattern and test fit, and keep doing that until you experiment enough to figure which bit and which method works the best. My guess is the bit was too big.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I'll try those it's a new kit so bit can't be dull used centering tool so don't think that's it stock iis firm in jig bushing and bit are what came with jit I'm sue its operator malfunction I may be going to fast it is cheap pine stock I was using to practice with ill give it another test when I get home smaller fit and slower still learning bur that's what makes it fun thanks for replying

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have only used a couple of templates, but they fit fine. Not a lot, as I have moved to attempting to master doing dovetails by hand. It looks more like assembly of the jig to me.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have the original jig and following the directions, haven't been able to make a decent joint using different templates. Jerry, Jclrk, no longer sees me as a master of anything wood--I've fallen off my lofty pedestal because I can't make this system, this supposedly simple system work. It's not that dovetails aren't nice, it's just these purdy little heart joints and dog bone joints are such eye candy--at least in the pics on the advertisements. I acquired my set when I bought out my brothers shop a dozen years ago. I don't think he had any success with the thing either.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Not getting the bushing exactly centered in relation to your router bit is the cause of most of your problems. Also, measure the router bushing diameter. Many being sold are not exactly their nominal dimension, and this is very important for this jig to work. I had the one being sold by Woodline and dealing with these issues every time that I was setting up to use it became more than my patience allowed, and I sold it. It will work, if everything is perfectly adjusted.

Charley

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Since the recesses/fingers are both too wide by a smidge- you could have a bit that is just a few thousandths too small. That would at least account for the fit. Are you using the supplied spiral bit or one (or a straight bit) from another source?

But, I still get back to the guide bushing. Not having a bushing with the correct OD or moving in the router plate insert can cause similar results. I have one set of guide bushings that never stay where I lock them- the vibration causes the locking ring to loosen and by the time I realize it, the joint is ruined.

The other thing that concerns me a lot is the irregular appearance of both profiles and the nibs left on fingers and recesses- sure signs you are attempting to cut too fast and/or have a dull bit. Do you have dust collection on your router table? Are you letting too much dust/splinters collect around the cutting area that might be getting into the template recesses and preventing the guide bushing from fully following the template surface and bottoming out in each recess? (see photo) . If the wood is a bit springy, another thing to try is make two complete passes, the second one slower than the first. Make sure there is no dust and chips between the template fingers before the second pass.

If you really want this or a similar joint, get a Leigh jig and their Clover and Bear Ears templates. :rolleyes:

dog.JPG

Last edited:

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I have the original jig and following the directions, haven't been able to make a decent joint using different templates. Jerry, Jclrk, no longer sees me as a master of anything wood--I've fallen off my lofty pedestal because I can't make this system, this supposedly simple system work. It's not that dovetails aren't nice, it's just these purdy little heart joints and dog bone joints are such eye candy--at least in the pics on the advertisements. I acquired my set when I bought out my brothers shop a dozen years ago. I don't think he had any success with the thing either.
You'll always be on a pedestal any one who sees the master pieces you've created couldn't deny that fact we will figure it out eventually or throw it away lol

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
That last suggestion just may be the best idea yet! LOL:
After reading Charley's post I feel a little better, because he is much more detail oriented than I am--like the King of detail oriented!

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
That last suggestion just may be the best idea yet! LOL:
After reading Charley's post I feel a little better, because he is much more detail oriented than I am--like the King of detail oriented!
Well pop you got your work cut out for you when I get home be prepared to teach

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Since the recesses/fingers are both too wide by a smidge- you could have a bit that is just a few thousandths too small. That would at least account for the fit. Are you using the supplied spiral bit or one (or a straight bit) from another source?

But, I still get back to the guide bushing. Not having a bushing with the correct OD or moving in the router plate insert can cause similar results. I have one set of guide bushings that never stay where I lock them- the vibration causes the locking ring to loosen and by the time I realize it, the joint is ruined.

The other thing that concerns me a lot is the irregular appearance of both profiles and the nibs left on fingers and recesses- sure signs you are attempting to cut too fast and/or have a dull bit. Do you have dust collection on your router table? Are you letting too much dust/splinters collect around the cutting area that might be getting into the template recesses and preventing the guide bushing from fully following the template surface and bottoming out in each recess? (see photo) . If the wood is a bit springy, another thing to try is make two complete passes, the second one slower than the first. Make sure there is no dust and chips between the template fingers before the second pass.

If you really want this or a similar joint, get a Leigh jig and their Clover and Bear Ears templates. :rolleyes:

View attachment 200813

There is a good chance the pilot bushing might be moving. In looking at the current jigs being offered, there is a locking type washer now provided to prevent the bushing from loosening up--evidently an ever present problem on the older set-ups. Appreciate your input Alan, you're the joint master!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I neglected to add an additional tip -

Guide bushings can loosen and move a little from the vibration of the router as you are cutting the joint. Peachtree Woodworking www.ptreeusa.com sells wave washers to fit your guide bushings and cost only a few bucks for 2. Add one behind the router base and the guide bushing nut and then once the bushing is centered, get the nut as tight as you can. This will prevent the bushing from loosening and moving after you have so carefully centered it.

Charley

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I neglected to add an additional tip -

Guide bushings can loosen and move a little from the vibration of the router as you are cutting the joint. Peachtree Woodworking www.ptreeusa.com sells wave washers to fit your guide bushings and cost only a few bucks for 2. Add one behind the router base and the guide bushing nut and then once the bushing is centered, get the nut as tight as you can. This will prevent the bushing from loosening and moving after you have so carefully centered it.

Charley
I was thinking same thing so I ordered them last time home

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329-133219_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329-133219_Chrome.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 75

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS