Front Vice recommendation

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello all,
I am about to add a front vice to my workbench and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share thoughts/recommendations?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really like my Lake Erie leg vise, but am also envious of the one Mike made.

https://www.lakeerietoolworks.com/collections/wooden-vise-screw-kits

DTBoss

New User
Dan
I practically peed my pants with joy the first time I spun my Benchcrafted Classic leg vise (just a few days ago). I realize it comes with a premium price tag, but I figure for the literally thousands of times I'll be putting my hands on it, it'll be worth it.
Image-1.jpg

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Hello all,
I am about to add a front vice to my workbench and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share thoughts/recommendations?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Matt, There are some different styles of vises out there. Having more specific information on your workbench along with your work expectations will change the answers.

The two types of leg vise screws mentioned are probably the best for those types of leg vise. I would counter that they aren’t expensive and will last a couple lifetimes. Most importantly, they are an absolute joy to use.

People try building leg screws on the cheap, but they can still cost a few dollars and don’t perform anywhere near as well as the Lake Erie and BenchCrafted screws.

There are some other face vises out there. Which of them is best will be impacted by your work or expected work.

Lastly is a good old general purpose vise. Mine is a cheap off shore version. Handy to have and just use for “stuff” that’s not really woodworking. I wish mine was a bit larger and better quality.

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
In response to TENdriver's note, I submit the following:

"Workbench I" is of the bench when it was first built.

"Workbench II" was taken recently and shows the newly installed thru-and-thru drawers underneath, Apologies for the untidiness of the second photo but it was expressly for the purpose of showing what a mess that was made creating tenons on the end of sticks for the grand kids treefort.

"Tree Fort" actually shows off the treefort that I built. Someday soon, I will put a video out on some of the tree fort features, but that is a conversation for another day

Attachments

• Workbench I.JPG
    Workbench I.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 201
  • Workbench II.jpg
    Workbench II.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 202
  • Tree Fort.jpg
    Tree Fort.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 206

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Matt, Looks like you already are using a vise by Veritas.

Veritas has a “newer” face (and tail) vise that I have considered for myself. There are some innovations to the design that I would consider improvements.

That bench also looks like a good candidate for Highland’s Emmert vise clone. It’s quite a vise though a little on the heavy side. Since I moved, mine isn’t mounted, but there are times I wish it was.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Benchcrafted Glide with crisscross. One spin and it closes and holds. No comparison to any other vise I have ever used

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My only advice would be to go w/ a "quick action" vise. Some folks don't like them, but for me they are much quicker and easier to use.

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Benchcrafted Glide with crisscross. One spin and it closes and holds. No comparison to any other vise I have ever used
You have very expensive tastes my friend...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
In response to TENdriver's note, I submit the following:

"Workbench I" is of the bench when it was first built.

"Workbench II" was taken recently and shows the newly installed thru-and-thru drawers underneath, Apologies for the untidiness of the second photo but it was expressly for the purpose of showing what a mess that was made creating tenons on the end of sticks for the grand kids treefort.

"Tree Fort" actually shows off the treefort that I built. Someday soon, I will put a video out on some of the tree fort features, but that is a conversation for another day
I saw a tenoning setup like that at Northern Tools the other day. Is that the one? I think it sold for $99 for the pair......

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Come on over and give it a test drive. Come tomorrow or Saturday and you might be able to grab some lunch
Would love to but I am tied up in West End this week end. I will definitely take you up on your offer...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS