Fritz and Frans Jig

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I need to make another light house. This one for a university in Tampa.

I sold my Unisaw before leaving NC. I used that to cut 2X2X12 lacewood into an octagon shape before turning the the upper portion into a frustum. I placed the fence to the left of the right tilted blade to make the octagon along the lower right corner of the 2X2 as I felt more comfortable with a lower blade height.

I now have a sliding table saw with no way to put a fence on the left of the blade. I'm really not comfy (at this point) ripping the corners of the square while the blade is pointed towards the fence. The angle would have to be cut with the blade along the top left corner of the lacewood and protruding above the board. Maybe just me, I grant. And, yes, I do use a push stick.

So I'm thinking a Fritz and Frans jig. I need something to ride in the slider's t-slot that provides alignment square to the blade. I have some 1-1/4 X 1-1/4 Ipe, about 14" long and wondering how that would work in the t-slot. Or, should I buy some 1/2" HDPE?

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I used maple for mine and it works just fine. I'm sure the Ipe will work as well. Just make it as tight as you can in the T slot.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I need to make another light house. This one for a university in Tampa.

I sold my Unisaw before leaving NC. I used that to cut 2X2X12 lacewood into an octagon shape before turning the the upper portion into a frustum. I placed the fence to the left of the right tilted blade to make the octagon along the lower right corner of the 2X2 as I felt more comfortable with a lower blade height.

I now have a sliding table saw with no way to put a fence on the left of the blade. I'm really not comfy (at this point) ripping the corners of the square while the blade is pointed towards the fence. The angle would have to be cut with the blade along the top left corner of the lacewood and protruding above the board. Maybe just me, I grant. And, yes, I do use a push stick.

So I'm thinking a Fritz and Frans jig. I need something to ride in the slider's t-slot that provides alignment square to the blade. I have some 1-1/4 X 1-1/4 Ipe, about 14" long and wondering how that would work in the t-slot. Or, should I buy some 1/2" HDPE?

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Do you have pictures of th

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I feel your frustration. I have three tablesaws, one large slider and two Unisaws, and all three tilt to right. At least with Unisaws I can move the fence if I have to. The F&F jig is the right idea I think but you might need to make a special one that is thicker (taller) than normal if that size would only engage a small angle of the workpiece as you cut more corners. I may be imagining your process wrong so ignore if that doesn't make sense.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS