Freud SD208 Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Several years ago I was gifted the SD208 dado set.
I already had an inexpensive set, and I normally use the router table for dados and grooves, so I hadn't opened the SD208 until yesterday.
I have some confusion about the chippers I have with the set.
The Freud site shows the chippers included are two 1/8" and one 1/16", and a set of spacers.
My set has four chippers that measure 0.275 and one that measures 0.143.
I needed to cut some 7/16 dados and the included chart shows I need the outer blades and one 1/8 shim and one 1/16 shim.

Anyone have any idea how my set could have these 'oddball' chippers?

Thanks

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Are you measuring the width of the teeth or of the actual chipper body (which is what counts, as the teeth intentionally overlap one another)?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
With mine I have to take a test cut, and usually have to do a little shimming to get the exact width. Hopefully the shims also came with the set. I usually put the shims on just before the last outside cutter, so I don't have to dismantle the whole stack if I need to adjust them. I also stagger the cutter position on the chippers to give a more even feed.

Go

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Wellll, it seems there was an original version of the SD208, which is apparently what I have. The newer version has the chippers described in the chart that came with my set.

Old version with setup chart for the new version.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I think that is what I have also, having bought it 2nd hand at one of the wood-fests up at the Raleigh Harbor Freight many moons ago. Just stacking the chippers seems to come up short, but most times not short enough to make up for the loss in dimension on today's lumber, especially ply wood.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Several years ago I was gifted the SD208 dado set.
I already had an inexpensive set, and I normally use the router table for dados and grooves, so I hadn't opened the SD208 until yesterday.
I have some confusion about the chippers I have with the set.
The Freud site shows the chippers included are two 1/8" and one 1/16", and a set of spacers.
My set has four chippers that measure 0.275 and one that measures 0.143.
I needed to cut some 7/16 dados and the included chart shows I need the outer blades and one 1/8 shim and one 1/16 shim.

Anyone have any idea how my set could have these 'oddball' chippers?

Thanks
Not odd ball at all. Two outters at 1/8" each, one 1/8" chipper, and a 1/16" chipper equills 7/16" when I learned math. May be different with new math though.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
As was the case with Forrest Dado King (and possibly Freud, and others) and verified a few years ago by a Forrest engineer, the dado chippers (and trimmers(?)) are ground slightly undersized. That means if you stack them according to their "published" sizes two 1/8" trimmers plus two 1/8" chippers will likely produce a dado that is less than 1/2". Shims may be necessary with most dado blade sets. This is one reason I designed the I-BOX box joint jig to work the way it does- you set it to the actual dado cut by direct transfer and not to the sum of "published" blade widths.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
That is strange. I wonder where those odd ball sizes came from. If you measure the plate instead of the teeth like Ethan suggested, are the numbers closer to 1/8" and 1/16" increments?

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks guys, I found the problem.
ME, I'm a moron! :)

This is not the only stupid move I made this weekend, just the only one I made public.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
First, I must admit to some mis-information. (been a while since I used my stacked dado). On mine the cut is a little to wide if stacked as shown, which means I have to drop to the 1/16 cutter and then shim up to the correct size.

Measuring the chippers on mine gives me 0.1235 for the 1/8 chipper plate, 0.062 for the 1/16, and 0.098 for the outside plates. However, when taking into the account the offset of the outside plate teeth, the width to the outside of the cut is about 0.135 from the inside of the plate (hard to get an exact measurement for this with the time I have now to do it). Multiply this times 2 for the inside and outside cutters and you have about .020 oversized cut before adding the chippers. I guess if I had the outside cutters resharpened enough, the over-width would gradually reduce as the tooth gets shorter, and thus narrower.

The set I have has four 1/8 chippers and one 1/16 chipper.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS