French rasps... much cheaper if you order direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
After using one of Phil Soper's hand-stitched French rasps a few months ago at his shop, I've been wanting one but dithering about the cost. I finally bit the bullet after finding that they're much cheaper if you order direct from France instead of going through LV or L-N. (Amazing how you can convince yourself that something is a good deal.) I got a 8" Liogier rasp for $95, shipping from France included, vs. $140 at Lee Valley. Savings on direct Auriou rasps vs. through L-N are substantial but smaller. Also, I checked a customs schedule and there's no import duty on rasps. I imagine this is because the euro is in the tank. Happy abrading!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for buying these direct. I've been ordering Liogier rasps, rifflers and floats directly from their website for a while now. It is definitely the way to go. They are made to order so take a couple weeks to arrive but that's not bad from France. They have flat rate shipping and are a great company to do business with. A very high quality hand-stitched product.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
There was a discount code on "Sawmill Creek". If you search there you may still be able to find it. I've ordered twice and I'm very satisfied with the quality of their products.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I used the email contact on the page that Ken linked above. His web store has had issues for some time now and you can't order from it, but I emailed Noel Liogier (contact(at)liogier-france.fr) with my order, and he sent me an invoice via PayPal.

can you post the link you ordered from?

Thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Never had a problem ordering directly from their website myself, but its been a few months since I last ordered. Their customer service is excellent though so if you have any problems just email them as Richard mentioned and they will take care of you personally - the owner will be the one you deal with. Excellent service. They stand by their product and it is an excellent product as well.

Highly recommended.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
The hand stitched rasps are just better than the production files I have in my shop. No question.

I have had a chance to try just a few of the french handmade files and they are very nice. My frustration is the range of choices without being able to try the tools on wood.

I have always wondered what size, shape and cut would serve me best? I am not about to plunk down 150 dollars and have another dust collector in the shop. So..

It would be nice to find out who has some of these files other than Ken, Phil and Richard. To make the inputs useable, include the details of the rasp/file. Size, cut and shape

Maybe a "bring your rasp" along to the picnic for a show and tell?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30763.0

address above is an old blurb from the rifle builders "rasp off" thing they did a few years back.

dan

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, if you remind me shortly before the picnic I'll bring my collection. Bring some scrap to try them on as I expect the park will frown on us using the picnic tables for such.

I first bought the mix of 3 rasps and 1 riffler mentioned on the page I linked to. I later bought a float from them (may or may not be useful to you - a float will not cut into the sides as you smooth the face as it has no teeth on the edges.) I then bought 2 versions that Liogier made to mimic the popular Nicholson American factory-made rasps (I believe it was the Nicholson #62 and 63 rasps but could be wrong) but in a hand-stitched version. I've not been as enamored with them as with the initial purchase. The float has proven to be very useful, but is a different beast altogether.

These are the most useful rasps that I own. The 10" grain #9 for rough work and the 8" grain #11 for finer detail. The rat-tail 8" grain #12 is very good for inside work. And the riffler #1, 7" grain 13 is perfect for those tiny details. All but the riffler (which is double ended) come with a nice fitting and comfortable handle.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have two Auriou rasps. The most used is the cabinet makers rasp 9" grain 10. The other is a modelers rasp 7" grain 13

I purchased both of these used when one of our members was downsizing his shop. I will not say what I paid for them as it might make you mad.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Ken, I believe those Nicholson rasps are the #49 and #50. I bought a lifetime supply of them right before the manufacturer moved production offshore. I remember Liogier coming on one of the forums and asking if he should produce that version. Glad to hear he did.

I'm pretty happy with my U.S. Nicholson rasps but I've heard these French ones are even better. If you think you can use one I'd highly encourage trying them. I'm always amazed at how much better they perform then machine made rasps. There just isn't any comparison between them.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe that is correct - 49 & 50. Thanks for the correction to my hopeless memory for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS