Free Wood - many kinds of trees (Stokesdale)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Not Mine:

MANY trees of all types - poplar, black walnut, oak, hickory, pine, etc. We will cut them down & take care of the limbs, if you just cut up the logs & haul the wood away. Take just what you want. We don't want the trees, but we don't need the wood. I hate to drag it into the yard & burn it when someone else could use it or sell it as firewood. Several trees down already. Very easy to get to.

Call 336-427-0586 anytime 9am - 9pm.

Jen

davejones

New User
Dave
I am going tomorrow morning to look at these. I'll post an update after I see what they look like, hopefully with some pics. It sounds like they have several trees still standing and a few that have already been cut. I am really only interested in getting some of the walnut, but if others are interested in something else let me know and I will check it out.

Dave

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, thanks for your offer. Could you let me know if they have anythign that's over 40" in diameter and a nice straight butt log? Thx. Scott

davejones

New User
Dave
Update:

These are mostly poplar and may be on the small side for milling into boards. I would estimate most are 12-16" diameter. There is one really nice poplar that is roughly 30" dia at the base and straight up to ~ 20ft.

There is only 1 walnut tree that I could find. I think it would be decent to mill at ~ 18-20" diameter, but only about 10 feet long to the branches. I may pick this up to be milled along with some other logs.

There was 1 other tree that was interesting (may be cherry but I'm not really an expert). It was also 18-20" in diameter, but had a bit of a lean to the trunk.

Scott,
They did have 1 monster white oak tree. He mentioned that he thought it was dieing out in the tops and would have to come down eventually but it was not in the group of trees that he planned to cut right now. I think if you took it down he would be ok with that. I would estimate it at ~ 36" at the base and it's nice and straight. If I go back over I'll actually measure it and see exactly how big it is.

Dave

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Dave on the Walnut is there anything that would be big enough to turn after you cut what you need?

davejones

New User
Dave
Phillip,

I would assume there would be some turning blanks, but I guess that just depends on how big you want them. If you can give me an idea of what you are looking for I can see what I can get.

NcChris

New User
Chris
Hi Dave, Just by looking do you think any of the poplar trees would produce any 6"x 10 - 12" beams for a small cabin project? Thanks. Oh, and hello to everyone else. This is my first post here. I stumbled unto this site a few days ago and it's great!:gar-Bi

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip,

I would assume there would be some turning blanks, but I guess that just depends on how big you want them. If you can give me an idea of what you are looking for I can see what I can get.

Hey Dave - thanks for looking out for us - anything 4"+ would be fine with me - I just want something to practice on and who knows it might turn out pretty good:gar-Bi

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I ain't too far from Stokesdale, so let me know if one of you's guys need some help. Note: I am on-call May 30, so that Saturday is not available.

davejones

New User
Dave
Hi Dave, Just by looking do you think any of the poplar trees would produce any 6"x 10 - 12" beams for a small cabin project? Thanks. Oh, and hello to everyone else. This is my first post here. I stumbled unto this site a few days ago and it's great!:gar-Bi

Definitely the one big poplar could, but the small ones I think would only do it if you included the pith.

davejones

New User
Dave
I ain't too far from Stokesdale, so let me know if one of you's guys need some help. Note: I am on-call May 30, so that Saturday is not available.

Tom,
I may take you up on that offer. I am going to try to drop that walnut sometime, but probably not this or next weekend. I'll let you know when I get around to it. Hopefully it will still be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors