Free Metal Find

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I know it is not woodworking per se, but we do use metal from time to time.

In Hawaii, misc. steel and structural tube/angle is expensive. Anyway, Tractor Supply has ATV's they sell and when they come in they are on an 8'x8' frame. Free for the taking, if you do not have a large pickup, then you would need cordless sawzall, (maybe a grinder too), flatbar, hammer and a couple of flat screw drivers to cut it up and harvest. Also, metric wrenches 10-15mm and pliers, vise grips if desired. The base frame is made of roughly 20' of 1.5"x3" .125 rectangle tube & 16-20' of 1.5"x1.5" 1.25" sq tube. Then, there is a 1.5"x1.5" 30x60 frame bolted on the top and some other misc angle iron. Bring hand cleaner, towels it is dirty.

It is a fair amount of steel for 30-40 min of work. Took me about 20-30 min to cut up and stock once I got home and could use my 7" grinder, took 3 cutting disks to clean up and cut.

They posted on Craig's I went over as I like having 1/8" sq-tube and angle and well, free is a great price.

I use it for ledger and occasionally frame support. Thinking about using the 30x60 to make a table using it as the top support frame. Anyway, not sure how things are done locally where you are, but it is worth asking. Good Luck !

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
I haven't found any steel at tractor supply, but I Do snag those styrofoam blocks they use for trailer shipping as Archery targets.

I work for a big computer campus which was always getting remodeled. So I come across the steel angle iron they use for the bathroom counter tops, and drawer glides from the break / copy room the cabinets.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors