Free Craftsman RAS and Miter Saw Score for me...

llucas

luke
Senior User
Giving something away. Here is the story in case someone is interested. Been using a Craftsman RAS strictly for breaking down rough stock with 90 degree cuts only...been all that I needed and it worked great for that purpose. This week I jammed a large piece of WO into the blade and it stalled out (not that rare an event)...I shut it down quickly, no smoke, no noise...freed the blade and turned it back on...nothing, it didn't even try to turn over. I hit the reset a few times...still nothing. Traced the current path with a tester...supply line hot, switch hot, line from switch to motor hot, terminals into motor hot.
So as I really wanted to buy a new tool, I pronounced it dead and took it out of of the shop to the shed for whatever.
Got all excited about researching a new miter saw and just didn't take the time to think about what else might be fixable....Now I'm thinking it may need new brushes (maybe) which I didn't even check. Anyway I am psychological done with the RAS and will give it free to anyone who wants it and think they may be able to fix it.
Just send me a PM if you are interested.
IMG_3841.jpg

ck1999

Chris
User
The one you have looks similar to mine. Have you checked it for the recall? I think they were sending either money or a new table top. I got the new table top with new handle and blade guard.

llucas

luke
Senior User
yep, a few years back I registered it for a recall and received a new blade guard assembly...not sure about the table, cause I didnt need one.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A year ago August while planing and resawing lumber, my HF DC quit. It was connected to a Jet Remote Switch. The problem was I was working on a deadline and no planing could be done without the DC. So with fresh, unblemished 20% off coupon in hand off I went to HF. Got the new DC unit and back home to assemble it in near 100 degree heat. Got the old DC out and installed the new unit. The big smile on my face melted away when I hit the remote switch and all I could hear was a tiny tree frog laughing at me. Got an extension cord so I could plug it into another circuit and lo and behold, the lovely roar of the unit was music in my ear, just can't remember if it was the right or left ear, or both; doesn't really matter as it could be ascertained the DC was working. So now that I knew it worked, I decided to try the old unit now sitting on the lawn taking a sun bath, and it also worked. Well, after all the sweat and toil of putting together a new dust collection unit I decided it could stay right there in the DC room, and the old unit I parked under the protection of a large tulip poplar which will be reduced to firewood soon after working as a lightning rod. So to make this long story just a little longer, because I see you're all falling asleep reading this boring essay, the problem was the Jet remote had crossed over Jordan and wasn't coming back. Sold the old DC unit about a year ago and delivered it last week as the new owner just never found where I live, well off the beaten trail. Now to just receive payment. These days, as I haven't built the remote McRabbet drew out for us awhile ago, I am using a remote from Lowes that set me back almost 20 bucks. Only had to go and push the reset button on the DC end of the remote switch once. Isn't woodworking a great joy--most of the time anyway.;-)

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Just as a lark, try that red reset button again but this time push it in with a lot of force. Don't use a shock load like a hammer, but a steady push. Usually I'll find that I have to push hard enough with my thumb until it begins to hurt. I'll usually get that telltale 'click'. Sometimes I'll get a piece of wood between my thumb and that button.

Years back I got a call from a guy with a radial arm saw problem he attributed to a burned out motor. I told him the price for a service call and he agreed. I got there, went over to the Sears RAS and pushed the button really hard. click. Hit the switch and on came the machine. For years after that, he was still carping about having to pay me $120.00 to drive to his shop and merely push a button. I have to say that I tried to tell him about how hard the button was to push over the phone.

llucas

luke
Senior User
I thought I did push it hard, but now I'm thinking I was a little wimpy...gonna try again with more vigor.
Thanks Bob.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Bob. You are a genius...or I am a dunce...or both. I took your suggestion and got serious about making the reset button get depressed...suddenly an audible click and Shazam! It works! Good as new
BUT I already bought a new saw and rebuilt the cabinet for it...
SO I am still giving the RAS away to whoever comes first.
It works fine. It is FREE. Come get it
Send me a PM

dpfeiffer

New User
Don
I'm not good on here and dont know how to do a PM but I'm interested in it. I already have one just like it but it's not in best of shape anymore , previous owner did not treat it kindly but I do. Let me know if it's still available please

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not good on here and dont know how to do a PM
At the top of the page, click the envelope icon that's next to your username. Select "Start a new conversation."

Edit: You can also hover over a user's profile image and select "start conversation"

Last edited:

llucas

luke
Senior User
Don (or anyone)
If you are interested in the Free RAS see the instructions above to send me a message in Start a Conversation.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS