frame mitered segment part 3 adding rings and turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Frame mitered segment​
Part 3 adding rings and turning​
Now that we have the base ready its time to add the segmented rings and turn.
The base has been turned flat and smoothed, the first ring has also been flattened and smoothed on one side.
I apply tb2 to the ring then rub it on the base, making a rub joint, making sure to keep the segment joints centered on the segments of the base (in other words like bricks are aligned), also making sure if there is and pattern to get it aligned also.
Then I bring up the tail stock to hold it in place, after about 15 to 20 mins. I turn and sand the face flat.
glue_ring1.jpg

The second ring is then added in the same way.
glue_ring_2.jpg

After the second ring I will start turning the inside, for me this way is the easiest .
starting_to_turn_the_inside.jpg

turning_inside_2.jpg

When all the rings are on and the inside is turned and sanded, I turn the outside starting at the top and working down, that way it keeps the strength between where I am working and the faceplate.
turning_3.jpg

After its all turned, sanded and finish put on, I use a chisel to remove it from the faceplate the brown paper will part.
To turn the bottom I use the vacuum, or the colejaws or even a donut whatever it takes.
vacuum2.jpg

donut.jpg

Some times I will want to use a thin ring ¼” or 1/8” or even thinner, for me its impossible to glue up a ring that thin.
What I do is make a thick ring glue it on then part it, and end up with 2 thin rings.
parting.jpg

Next time I will do some open segments.

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
That is gorgous...What kind of glue are using? Did you say you only clamped it in the lathe for 15-20 mins and then added another ring? Do most people use a strap clamp to glue the rings together on a flat surface? And then just stack the rings?

Anyways that is awesome...Being laid off I have some time to try one myself...I'm heading to the shop now...I'm going to try a burled cherry and burled Maple one...Probably going to be hard to get a tight fit...But ths is all the wood I have now...

erasmussen

New User
RAS
That is gorgous...What kind of glue are using?
I am using Titebond 2

Did you say you only clamped it in the lathe for 15-20 mins and then added another ring?
I dont really clamp it with perfect joints, I use a rub joint and jus use the tail stock to keep it in place, I get tight joints (ask Dave O he has seen them)
And yes after 15 to 20 mins I will turn the face and sand it, and turn the inside if its the second or third or more ring
Do most people use a strap clamp to glue the rings together on a flat surface? And then just stack the rings?
Yes I think most do

Anyways that is awesome...Being laid off I have some time to try one myself...I'm heading to the shop now...I'm going to try a burled cherry and burled Maple one...Probably going to be hard to get a tight fit...But ths is all the wood I have now...

Give it a try thats how I learned

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nice work again, Earl. Thanks for the pics, which clue in a lot of us who have no idea how you do it. The pics give away some of your secret magic, but makes your work no less magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS