Fraction - Decimal - Metric Equivalents

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A very long time ago, I saw a chart that interspersed fractional and metric drill sizes. The chart was very handy in those cases where I wanted to use a metric bit to drill a hole slightly larger than I could with a smaller fractional bit or vice versa. After spending a long time on the Internet searching without luck, I gave up. Today I was looking up the PDF manual for my General Tools No. 1467 caliper and found the chart inside. I reentered everything (except the error) into an Excel spreadsheet and made the metric entries red. Here's a PDF of the chart. I hope you find it as useful as I do. Sometimes the simple things make a big difference.

Attachments

• Imperial-Metric Size Chart-red.pdf
    59 KB · Views: 267

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I just use my phone's calculator. Also has a fractions app on my phone when things get complicated.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I just use my phone's calculator. Also has a fractions app on my phone when things get complicated.
I like to have a chart right by the drill press. I have a small Starrett chart but it keeps getting smaller and harder to read.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I like to have a chart right by the drill press. I have a small Starrett chart but it keeps getting smaller and harder to read.
Mine isn't a Starrett, but it's mounted to the lid of my dial caliper box. Used it just today to figure what size "O" ring I needed for a faucet that I was working on.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Any drill bit chart is useful. I have three pasted on the walls at various places. Which chart will vary depending on your drill bit inventory.
That above chart certainly looks handy.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Thanks this is handy, like others I am old school so most of these I do in my head but my coworkers ....... well ... they are young and without an aid they get frozen :rolleyes:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Lee Valey Winter sales catalogue has a chart on the page opposite the order page. Perfect size for taping to lid of dial calipers box. I have a couple of this size printed on plastic from trade shows.

medic

New User
john
Here is a very simple way to convert decimals to fractions and vice versa just rember one number .125 for 8th use .125 for 16th divide by 2 ,32th divide by 4 example 3/8 .125 x3 =.375 , .375 divided by .125 =3. Since .125 is for 8th =3/8 , 16th would be .125 divided by 2 = .0625 7/16 x.0625 =.4375 , .4375 divided by .0625=7 this come in handy when you don't have a chart handy or the batteries die

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS