Foyer Floor Damage~No Water from last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Re: Foyer Floor Damage NEED HELP~!

A picture is worth a few thousand words. Call your insurance agent and get a roofing company out to find and fix the leak and a contractor to fix the floor and the wall. I imagine you've got a good mold growth going inside the sheetrock and beneath the subfloor in the foyer. If you can climb under there you should check it out with a screwdriver and make sure no rot has started.
Go ahead and caulk the door but the leak is not coming from there. That area is well protected from all but hurricanes.

Do you think this will cost more than our $1000 deductible???

And how sure are you about the upper leak? I went upstairs and touched the wall all around where it is right about that area and there is no water damage or signs of it?

Matthew

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Contact your insurance agent first and have them send an estimator out. Do the math after they estimitate the job and you get estimates for the repairs. You can always decide to withdraw the claim. We had a similar situation around a chimney and the estimator was sure we had damage to our sub floor, mold in the wall, rot, etc. They wrote us a check for what they thought would cover it. I got a few estimates and in the process figured out that the damage was mostly superficial and new sheetrock, spackle and paint took care of it. The bigger problem was that my roof had been damaged by multiple hail storms. We went back to the insurance agent and got a new roof covered in the claim. Get a couple quotes and try to be there when they come to inspect. They may show you where the problem is located. If you can fix it yourself give them $75 for their time and pay yourself the insurance money. The damage to your foyer definitely exceeds $1,000.00 not counting what's lurking behind the wall and under the sub floor. I would definitely get your insurance guy/gal involved.

You're not seeing anything upstairs because the water didn't pool there. It ran straight down to the lowest level.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Contacted insurance people. They called yesterday when we were gone selling our 98 Acura TL, and haven't called back.

Anyway yesterdays big rain storm that we had should have surely left some water puddles in the front foyer area. NOPE

It is as dry as a bone. So again I am thinking it was the wet shoes and umbrella's that we had laying there???

Since the Laminate is only 3/8" thick total and the hardwood veneer that was on top was veneer size 1/32 or 1/64??? Very thin and the rest was like card board/MDF something that soaks up water like a sponge.

And I haven't caulked anything yet.

Thanks for any extra advice~!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
In looking at the front of your house, I'd suspect roof flashing as well.

I don't know the proper terms, but the smaller roof on the left looks like it meets the bigger roof smack dab where the water damage wall is.

That is a big coincidence in my big book of coincidences (no I don't actually have a book, but I just like saying that!).

At least that my take on the developments.

Jim

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
In looking at the front of your house, I'd suspect roof flashing as well.

I don't know the proper terms, but the smaller roof on the left looks like it meets the bigger roof smack dab where the water damage wall is.

That is a big coincidence in my big book of coincidences (no I don't actually have a book, but I just like saying that!).

At least that my take on the developments.

Jim

Yeah Jim I would think there would be a leak from that too, especially after yesterdays rain storm.

The front foyer is dry as a bone. No water pooling, no dampness at all. So how could it be a roof leak if there was no water from yesterdays heavy rain storm???:icon_scra

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach

You have a flashing leak on the roof, or a gutter overflow problem which is finding it's way into the side wall.

+1 on this. My dad has been building houses for 40 years and I described the damage and sent him a link. He thinks you getting you leak between the secondary roof (left a-frame) and the wall to your main roof. You should look under your siding where your gutters butt up against the house and see if you have water evidence there. I'm betting it's getting in through that corner. Advantec is some good stuff and doesn't water damage from wet shoes. Your looking at gallons and gallons of water over time to create that amount of damage. As for replacing the damage, you might want to look at your floor joists and the outside band just in-case. You could find more damage depending if the water stopped at the advantec or not. I would look at the advantec under your wall too, if it's damaged (but shouldn't be) then it will be some aggravation. Your gonna have to pull off the base and maybe replace drywall. Do it right or it will get worse. First sign of mold, watch out!

Zach

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Alas, we enter the realm of speculation.

Given that it was wet when you pulled up the laminate, that would indicate its a current issue (aka not one someone fixed in the past).

Those roof corners are a great place for leaves to build up. Could be that roof area was backed up enough.

If you want to track it down, I'd follow Dennis's suggestion and blast the front door and window with a good spray from the garden hose. Then if that doesn't work, try the roof.

I learned the hard way water wicks. So just because it rained and didn't puddle, doesn't mean that water isn't in there working its way down. Evil, evil water.......

Best of luck!

Jim

nelsone

New User
Ed
Water can do some funny things. Have you gone into the attic and looked for evidence of water? If the winds were blowing from a different direction this storm vs. the last could make the difference. In the attic look in the areas the two roof lines join and around any protrusions (vents, etc.) through the roof and shingle nails.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Water can do some funny things. Have you gone into the attic and looked for evidence of water? If the winds were blowing from a different direction this storm vs. the last could make the difference. In the attic look in the areas the two roof lines join and around any protrusions (vents, etc.) through the roof and shingle nails.

I agree with Ed on this one, I once had a house where water leaked in from the flashing that connected a small roof to my previous house. When we got water it was alot, but it only happened during big Nor'easters which was around once every two or three years in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors