Foyer Cabinet - Finally finished!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

New User
Amy
I finally finished and installed the foyer cabinet that took me way too long. I made it out of red oak plywood and solid red oak. The customer wanted to hide a doorbell and a thermostat. I finished it with Minwax Red Chestnut stain and satin wipe-on poly. As you can see from the picture I decided to go with the speaker fabric for the thermostat door. I used mini european hinges on the small doors, but was a little disappointed in the gap required based on the thickness of my door.



Here is a picture of the thermostat door open:



Amy
 

PChristy

New User
Phillip
That is a cool cabinet Amy:icon_thum I am glad you posted the other picture with the thermostat door open - I couldn't figure out what you made the center door out of - then I seen it was a mirror:gar-La;
 

JohnW

John
Corporate Member
Amy,
Hiding the thermostat...That's a great idea. And you did a good job. Is that a compound miter on the top? Looks perfect.:icon_thum
 

Glennbear

Moderator
Glenn
Very nice Amy, now that I can see the size I don't envy the hassle of all that joinery in a piece that small. :wsmile:
 

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work Amy!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bet the client loves it.

Very unique solution to thermostat concealment.

Wayne
 

adowden

New User
Amy
Thanks for the kind comments.

I hung it with a french cleat at the top and also a solid wood piece at the bottom that I screwed into the stud. The family has three little children and I didn't want to take any chances.

Crown is one of my weakest skills. I have a lion trimmer that I got at a WWS sale for $20 and it really helps fix the cut after the chop saw. Recently I made 20 picture frames and realized how great the lion trimmer is.

I forgot to mention one feature in my original post. I also was asked to hide a doorbell (top left cubby). I moved the back forward three inches to allow room for the doorbell and have it slide loosely in grooves from the top.



One thing that was a pain with construction was using 1/4" solid wood edge banding to hide the plywood edge. I used a hand plane and scraper to get all the pieces flush with the plywood case. The advantage of this method was that all the front pieces matched really well and had nice looking tight grain that would be near impossible to achieve with all solid wood. It is easier to see this in an unfinished picture:



After about 100 hours, I am sure glad to be done with this one. :wsmile:

Amy
 

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Another example of your great work Amy. I like the innovative way in which you treated the thermostat and doorbell. One would never know they were there. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS

Top