Four Sided Chamfer tabletop Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
First off I’m not sure how better to explain what I am trying to explain besides the current title - so my apologies in advance. I was watching a YouTube video and saw a design which I haven’t seen before. The A Glimpse Inside channel created a coffee table for March of Dimes but chamfered every piece of wood he used to create a tabletop panel.

I was wondering if anyone else has designed this into their pieces before. I think chamfered breadboard ends, similar to what I have seen on the Third Coast Craftsman YouTube channel, looks pretty good. I would like to get an idea of how it looks on other projects too, if y’all wouldn’t mind sharing. Below is a screenshot I took of the final product during the YouTube video wrap up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• E7EB4762-FC59-4D38-AE7D-AD2ADE97C09E.jpg
    E7EB4762-FC59-4D38-AE7D-AD2ADE97C09E.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 305

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
personally I don't care for it. the chamfers tend to collect crude and they make finishing difficult as well.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I can't find the video that you're referring too but assume that he's chamfering the top face of the boards.

I agree with Fred too and it's a PITA to keep clean with those nooks and crannies to hold whatever came off of the plates.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've seen this on some manufactured pieces and a few rustic pieces over the years. It's not to my personal tastes but it is a viable technique for building a table top. There are a lot of reasons for using this technique and some folks seem to like it. I agree that it is a crumb catcher and a maintenance issue for the end user.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I used this technique on the breadboard end of a colonial style trestle table years ago. It worked well and added a design detail that was pleasing without a lot of clean up hassle. Sorry, no pictures available for this. I think a big key is the overall design of your table, and I agree with everyone else that I would not use it for the main top of a dining table. I would consider it though for a coffee table or end table.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
If you go with champered ends, please don’t use a solution that I recently saw—grooves filled with caulking.

I was shocked that someone would build a top using caulking and that a friend bought the table.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I recently built this for my sister. She insisted on the 'grooves' as I called them. I guess it depends on how many small children you have at home as to the collection of crumbs. :) I didn't use any special methods. She wanted it to be 'rustic' so I just hit it with the sander before glue up. None of them were perfect, which is what she wanted, and that played right into my skill level! lol Anyway, below is a photo of how it turned out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• table w chamfer.jpg
    table w chamfer.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
David, how did you chamfer the adjoining edges of the boards? There's only 4 edges in your sister's table which may be better.

How'd the wedding and guest house work out over this past weekend?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
David, I think your country farm house style of table turned out great! I don't like chamfers unless they are on the outer edge of the table top. My wife and I bought a round table many years ago that has a tiled top wrapped with oak, and extends to an oval table by means of an extension built into it. The design is clever and works well, but the where the center boards split the table, a chamfer was made, and it certainly does collect crud--nasty crud. I'd never build a table top with chamfers after owning this table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS