Four down and one to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Nine years ago our first grand daughter was born. I thought it would be nice to make her a tiny harpsichord for her 1st birthday. Now, nine years later, we have five grand kids, and of course they each must have one of their own. I've just finished number four. These are real harpsichords in every way except size. This one is 27 1/2" long, 14" wide, and 9" tall. There are 25 keys with an octave span of only 4 3/4" as opposed to about 6 1/2" on a full sized piano. As a result, by the time any of the grand kids are old enough to really play a keyboard instrument, their hands will be too large to do so. Therefore, these are really keepsake instruments so that they will have something to remember us by when Sandy and I are no longer around.

IMG_3869[1].JPG

IMG_3868[1].JPG

IMG_3870[2].JPG

If you'd like to hear me embarrass myself by trying to play this thing with my fat fingers, click on the 90 second video below.

[video=youtube;JHvdb6jU5io]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHvdb6jU5io&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for watching,

Ernie

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Ernie -
You are an amazing craftsman, artisan and grandfather.
Your work is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It has all been said Ernie - amazing, beautiful, Phenomenal - in actuality, there are no words!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
WOW!!!!! Out of the five you're making, I hope at least a couple survive multiple generations and end up in a museum some day. They are definitely worthy. :eusa_clap

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks Bill - but with 5 grand kids between the ages of 2 and 9, I'm hoping a couple of them make it through the year.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Ernie, absolutely beautiful, inspiring (and inspired!) craftsmanship and artistry - both you and Sandy... But what really astounds me is the patience I know it must take to create such functional works of art!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, absolutely beautiful, inspiring (and inspired!) craftsmanship and artistry - both you and Sandy... But what really astounds me is the patience I know it must take to create such functional works of art!

Thanks Chris. Interestingly enough, I have little or no patience when it comes to doing quick projects. Ask me to build something that I can do in a weekend and I just don't want to do it. Ask me to build something that will take 8 months and I'm happy. I think harpsichord builders are a little weird :BangHead: (present company included).

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is truly the combination of the craftsmanship and art that makes these works so unique and impressive. I was surprised by how bright and clear the sound was in such a small instrument. Excellent only begins to describe them.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks Chris. Interestingly enough, I have little or no patience when it comes to doing quick projects. Ask me to build something that I can do in a weekend and I just don't want to do it. Ask me to build something that will take 8 months and I'm happy. I think harpsichord builders are a little weird :BangHead: (present company included).

Ernie - interestingly I am the same little to no patience for doing quick projects unless I have help... Wife brought home a dog wanted a dog house, she said easy enough, sure I said but I went out and bought one instead. I never understood my apprehension until you said that. Thanks Ernie your a wise man.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie - interestingly I am the same little to no patience for doing quick projects unless I have help... Wife brought home a dog wanted a dog house, she said easy enough, sure I said but I went out and bought one instead. I never understood my apprehension until you said that. Thanks Ernie

Be careful Jeff - sounds like you have a touch of the weird gene. Next thing you know you'll be building harpsichords.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS