Fount a hint on band saw vibration

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A while back, a member was diligently tuning up his band saw, but being stymied by a harmonic vibration. I seem to remember it was even confusing the brand name reseller tech support. It did not make sense to me at the time, but I just got a hint that does. The band slips a tiny bit as it spins so the relationship of the wheels will vary. So, a small imbalance in both wheels will come into and out of phase causing the vibration to come and go at an interval. A tiny difference in radius would cause the same "migration".

Wheel relationship migration should be easy to check with a couple chalk marks.

Now the hard part. Balancing. By checking my wheels on two saws, I am pretty sure the friction in the bearings is too much to balance in-situ to a precise degree. My suggestion would be to balance on a knife edge jig. Not easy unfortunately. Maybe cleaning the bearings and using a super light super slick lube just for balancing and then repack with grease to run?

This is only a hint. I have no proof as my current saw runs quite smoothly I have no need to play with it. I offer it as something to think about if you have this problem.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS