Found a nail today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I used my table saw with a nice Freud Fusion blade to find a 16d nail in a big slab of oak. Very effective at finding nails... arggghhhhhhh! :BangHead:

I am now the proud owner of a metal detector and a new blade. Nothing like closing the barn door after the cows are out... :no:

Big Nail

nail.jpg

View image in gallery

Missing carbide

Truefire

New User
Chris
I am so sorry bro, why does it seem like this always happens whenever you get something new. I mean, really... :saw:

Chris

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Why people pound nails in trees I'll never know... Nails really are not to bad, now porcelain insulators and old coke bottles are a completely different story. Who here has stuck a coke bottle in a crotch before? come on admit it :gar-La;

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ouch!! Hate to hear that. It could have been worse though. You could have been injured.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I feel your pain.... this past week we hit a porcelain insulator that was about 60 years inside of a large red oak log. Totaled out a $500.00 sawmill blade (and I had just re-tipped it) :kamahlitu

Porcelain ain't detected by the metal detector, either...

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I feel your pain.... this past week we hit a porcelain insulator that was about 60 years inside of a large red oak log. Totaled out a $500.00 sawmill blade (and I had just re-tipped it) :kamahlitu

I can hear it now - Hey Bo we need to juice up the house. Climb up that RO and and screw in this porcelain insulator... 60 years later Scott Smith finds it with his mill. I'm glad your OK Scott. blades have a tendency to want to explode when they hit porcelain/glass a lot worse than steel that's for sure. Did you have to hit the deck real quick?

Rob

New User
Rob
Ouch. What metal detector did you buy? I bought one from woodcraft that was on sale, I can't get it to detect anything outside of wood, much less in it.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ouch. What metal detector did you buy? I bought one from woodcraft that was on sale, I can't get it to detect anything outside of wood, much less in it.

I bought one of the cheaper ones. I think it's a Little Wizard. It worked fine because it found two more nails in he same board! The board will now be used for firewood.

In retrospect, the black stains on the board should have been a dead give-away. :eusa_thin

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
blades have a tendency to want to explode when they hit porcelain/glass a lot worse than steel that's for sure. Did you have to hit the deck real quick?

Fortunately it was deep inside the cut, so the shrapnel was not too bad. Still a major bummer though....

DanR

New User
Dan
The reviews for metal detectors seem to be mixed. Some people are having no luck with the Lumber Wizard III and others love the Little Wizard II (at 1/5th the price). Would a detector designed for finding metal underground be a better choice?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
glad only the wallets were the only injured as well...
as much as we hear about metal in wood, there are plenty of other things that will trash
a blade quickly.
I've seen enough gravel and glass. ceramic insulators are new to me but I can imagine
I once turned a decent sized piece of oak, as I got into it, I couldn't figure out what was flinging off of it
as it spun... dang bees! fortunately they were cold and slow (like me)
just be careful out there!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
When I was a kid in northern NY, my folks owned land a ran a cross-country ski area on it, which meant that we had about 7-8 mile of trails that had to be maintained and well marked with signs. We used only ALUMINUM nails in those nylon/plastic signs we stuck in trees exactly for that reason. My dad was aware that some day, someone would probably want to run many of those trees through a mill, even if it was just for paper.

Glennbear

Glenn

Sorry to hear about that Scott, :gar-Cr I invested in a metal detector wand after a narrow miss in one of my recycled heart pine boards (corrugated splicer) As you say glass/porcelain is not detected by these devices. Perhaps it is time to start looking on surplus medical device websites for a used MRI or X-ray machine? :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS