Found a Lathe (in FL) Good $$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Hmmm not to good of a deal as a new one is 575.00,plus there lowest speed is way to high for bowl turning.just my 2 cents :no:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
6000 and 9000 ???????????
My Ricon only goes down to 500,but I don't turn very large pieces on it,But my Nova 1624 goes down to 300 and that where I usually start,but once I get the bowl balanced out I will crank it up to 900 or higher ,but leave the tail center in untill I start hollowing it,but then I turn a lot of 12" to 16' plus on it.
You can turn smaller pieces starting at that speed,but they should be rounded out pretty good 1st

timf67

New User
Tim
6000 and 9000 are not RPM. they are the product of RPM and diameter. For example say you are turning a 12 inch bowl, it is saying that you would turn it at 500 RPM. 500*12=6000

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Thanky,I figured my peabrain was missin somthin,fergot ta say,but me an numbers don't see eye to eye :gar-Cr

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I would pass on it,as I don't like the slowest speed at 600,and your only a 100 bucks short of a new one.Guess I should have added that from what I have heard about them is there not all that well made.I sure don't wanna lead ya wrong

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Thanks, I'll email the guy back and tell him I would like something with lower RPM.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I don't know if you have turned any at all,but most turners will tell you to get the best you can afford.Nova and Jet have some great lathes around 1500.00.I just don't like the aftermarket lathes.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I would pass, too high for the brand on a used lathe, but not because of the speed. I turn my bowls between 600 and 1100 rpms. And 600 only if it's severely off balance.

Here's what they sell for at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1758-Lathe-Stand/drillpress/B0019CGYLM

Add shipping and handling and you could get a Jet from Woodcraft. (not to down shop fox, no experience with them)

This is only 40 miles away from me though. If he does come back with a better price, what would be that "You should pick it up now" price?

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I wouldn't pay more than 350.00 max.

As for turning an out of bal blank at 600 RPM's on that lathe,the lathe should be weighted down,especially if its over 10" dia. I have the Nova 1624 and if I run a 12" out of round blank at 600 it will shake the dickens out of the lathe and I know that lathe is heavier than the shop fox,plus I have 600 lbs of weight under it.

PS Just curious Rob,but what kinda lathe do you have?

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I wouldn't pay more than 350.00 max.

As for turning an out of bal blank at 600 RPM's on that lathe,the lathe should be weighted down,especially if its over 10" dia. I have the Nova 1624 and if I run a 12" out of round blank at 600 it will shake the dickens out of the lathe and I know that lathe is heavier than the shop fox,plus I have 600 lbs of weight under it.

PS Just curious Rob,but what kinda lathe do you have?

I do not have a dog in this fight, but the shipping weight on the Shop Fox is 50 pounds more than the Nova and the price for a beginning turner is ~$750.00 less.

I would take the wheels out from under it if I bought though Zack.

James

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Heck ain't no fight goin on :no: your right about the weight,but that includes the legs,so I guess they would be about the same weight,sorry :gar-Cr,but as for the price ,then you get what you pay for.:eusa_danc

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I fully agree, but I was just beat to death for the same sentiment in another thread about table saws. So i guess it all depends on which machine you are talking about.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors