Found a gem in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Stanley No4 Seems to be either a late Type 16 or early 17 wartime.
IMG_0307_1.JPG

IMG_03023.JPG

IMG_03014.JPG

Still some yellow paint in there
IMG_02991.JPG

I had never seen the red painted body until a month ago. Jim Mauldin brought me a low angle block plane that had some red paint under the rust. I thought someone had painted it some time after they bought it. Maybe it is war time too?
IMG_02972.JPG

Anybody have a fair price range for this one?

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Good score, Mike.
That will make a fine addition to your collection.
How are the preparations to move coming? Just let me know when you need me and the trailer.
Jim in Mayberry

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
I think the only pieces that are Stanley are the blade & lever cap. The bed casting & frog are not Stanley. It probably doesn't have any collector value, (Sorry) but it will probably tune up to serve you well in the shop.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't care about collector value on any tool I buy, it is strictly for shop use.

I paid $12 for it and it tuned up well so I'm happy.

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
Unless you're a collector, that's all that really matters. I have a couple of no-names in my shop that work great, too. $12.00 is a great price. You couldn't buy 1/2 of a new Chinese built plane for $12, and you've got a better built tool. Way to go.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
I don't care about collector value on any tool I buy, it is strictly for shop use.

I paid $12 for it and it tuned up well so I'm happy.

Mike,
Know what you are saying. That's the way I feel about that little Stanley # 2 I sent you pictures of. It cost me $3.00 and it works great. Guess I just need to get the right knob for it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hey Jerry, how about posting some pics of the #2. I drooled over a couple of nice ones at the M-WTCA event Saturday, but they were WAY out of my price range for user tools. :no:

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors