Forstner labels

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Probably most of y'all have a Forstner set like this. Several years ago after being annoyed by the box labeling, I labeled the bits using label maker. You can get a label maker at an office supply for $30 or so. It was a little bit (no pun intended) of time well spent.

image.jpeg

bbrown

Bill
User
I love this idea. I can never tell if I'm supposed to be reading the numbers to the right or to the left, and of course, always manage to put the bits back in the wrong place which compounds the problem.....Absent-minded professor at work :)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I love this idea. I can never tell if I'm supposed to be reading the numbers to the right or to the left, and of course, always manage to put the bits back in the wrong place which compounds the problem.....Absent-minded professor at work :)

Note that I made black marks from the box label to the bit slot which helped a little. The size printing on the bit is not great either and the label solves that.

FlyingRon

Ron
I have one set of sockets and wrenches that have nice large, high contrast numbers on them. I've never understood why that isn't more common.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Somewhere I think I have a label set for sockets like that, but I've always been doubtful it would survive under greasy and heavy physical situations.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
Desperate times call for desperate measures - can’t help but wonder if you (or I) would have ever gotten around to such tasks if the Covid situation wasn’t keeping us home more. I’m getting similar chores caught up as well...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Desperate times call for desperate measures - can’t help but wonder if you (or I) would have ever gotten around to such tasks if the Covid situation wasn’t keeping us home more. I’m getting similar chores caught up as well...
I've worked every day during all this (construction) but I think this will all be a memory before I see my shop floor again. Lotta work that's been put off to do there. I guess it'll have to wait until I'm pasture-ized.......

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I've worked every day during all this (construction) but I think this will all be a memory before I see my shop floor again. Lotta work that's been put off to do there. I guess it'll have to wait until I'm pasture-ized.......
I’ve been fortunate to work from a home office - if it weren’t 90 degrees in the garage I’d be more active with woodworking, but I’ve also got a addition to finish on the house, so...never enough time in the day. Waiting on cooler temps to do many things. Hope you’re holding up in this weather.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Probably most of y'all have a Forstner set like this. Several years ago after being annoyed by the box labeling, I labeled the bits using label maker.

Thanks for this inspiration. I think I'll do the same or at least similar. I've got a hodgepodge of bits and I'm always looking through them for the right size. Maybe I'll try putting a ring close to but below where the chuck would bite down.

I know for sure that I'm going to be labeling some of my nut drivers. Those things drive me crazy when I'm looking for a particular size.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I use these. Very easy to see. And in color!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Project complete. This thread is what it took to get me to address this annoyance.
Thanks again.
Within 10 minutes of putting the block back on the shelf, I was over at the block looking for a specific size nut driver. Quick and easy. While the sizes were printed on the rubber handle, that soon wore off with use.

Those amazon socket labels look interesting also. Another good idea.

1  labels - 1.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS