Forstner Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Looking for some advice here.

My set of Forstner bits had become very dull, probably because of overheating them. I've purchased a new set but before throwing the old ones away, I've got to ask, '"can they be resharpened?"

If so, where can I take them? It kills me to throw them out if there's an alternative.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Hate to say "it depends" but that is pretty much my standard answer. :rotflm:

How badly burned? Were they high quality to begin with? Are they a major brand? Is there a lot of gum built up that could be easily cleaned off? Which type of cutter do they have? Do you have any experience filing small teeth like saws or spade bits? Is the metal HSS or carbide tipped.

Do you want to send them back to the factory to be refurbished? or do it your self?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Before you decide whether to get them resharpened, I'd try cleaning them first. Often that can make a big difference in their performance. Soak them in a pan of water w/ a couple spoon fulls of baking soda overnight. Next day, use a soft brush, like an old toothbrush or brass bristle brush, under clean water to remove the grime from them.

If that doesn't do it, you might contact Sharpening Service. I know he sharpens router bits and drill bits, but I'm not sure about forstner bits.

HTH

Bill

stave

New User
stave
I get mine resharpened locally and I have both the toothed and untoothed versions. The real problem I have found is the center spike for lack of a better word. If that is worn away then the bit catches the wood only on the outside cutting surface and the only safe way to use them is in a drill press (which you are supposed to do anyway.) I don't worry about that on the big bits because I only use them on the drill press anyway. The smaller ones from say 1/4 to 3/4 I have been known to use in a drill (for various reasons such as size of work or shape) with the work clamped down.

I found out about the center point and clamping the work the hard way....had a 1/2 bit run 16" down a board I was holding before the drill stopped...unfortunately it stopped in my wrist. Not one of my most stellar moments of intelligence but I have a very nice and profound set of scars to remind me.

stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS