Forrest WWII Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
So my understanding is that the Forrest Woodworker II is about the best table saw blade on the market. Is this correct? Also, where is the best palce to buy one? I'm looking at the 10" 40T 1/8". I'm getting closer to being able to set up and run my saw and I figure it should have an appropriate blade in it. The best price I've found is a guy on Ebay who wants $84 + $10 shipping (currently has 7 in stock). Any other suggestions for a blade?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe there was an article recently in one of the ww'ing mags. that rated the WWII very high but also rated a few Freud blades right up there also. I personally use a Freud thin kerf combo blade and the Glue-Line Rip blade for big ripping jobs. I have never used a WWII so can compare cut quality, but for the price of on WWII blade you can have buy the Freud blades that I use (yours would be new of course) When I get home tonight I look up that article, I found it surprising 'cause I also thought the WWII was the ultimate blade. My .02, Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
It may be too late for this offer. But Ken M posted an amazon deal a bit back.

Edit
I just checked amazon, they have it for $80.. free shipping. This is for the thin kerf blade. I believe the 1/8 was $95

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks, Clay! That's an awesome deal, but it's the 3/32" thin kerf. I'd prefer to have the thicker 1/8" since i've got the HP to push it and I think it would be more stable/less deflection if it's thicker. Kinda the same idea as with a blade stabilizer. Am I right about that?

M

McRabbet

Chris,

I have a WW II with a Forrest Stabilizer on my 10" Grizzly cabinet saw and I am very pleased with it. I bought it new at Grizzly on my trip up there for about $94. After 18 months of use, it still cuts like a dream. I also like the Freud blades and use a thin kerf one on my Skil Saw for pre-ripping plywood sheets or MDF. It is a great blade, too. Both cut true with no tear out on plywood or other hardwoods. Whatever blade you decide on -- be sure your TS is set up with the miter slot parallel to the blade and the fence, too. I'd suggest you wait and see what deals may be available at the Charlotte WW Show this weekend if you're going. You'll find both blades there, I'm pretty sure. And, by all means, check Amazon.com for both blades.

Rob

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks, Rob - solid advice. I hadn't even thought of looking for a show special in Charlotte. I'd have been kicking myself for sure!
As far as tuning the saw - I borrowed a magnetic base dial indicator from my Dad when I went home at Christmas. So as soon as the saw gets moved into the basement, that'll be job #2...after running a 220 outlet...

tlself

New User
Terry Self
I have bought 3/32 WWII's from Forrest for the last 20 years of self-employment and the previous 5 years of employeedom. Send them back to Forrest for servicing and damn the expense. It's worth it for reliability.

Freud, Amana, etc. also make perfectly fine blades. You get what you pay for in tooling.

I have blade stabilizers which mainly serve as wall ornaments.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Chris,

I have the Forrest Chopmaster on my 12" miter saw and it is an awesome blade. The difference as I have seen it is the Forrest seems to remain sharp much longer than other blades I have used. I don't know if it is the carbide or their method of sharpening but that has been my impression. That said, I just bought 2 Lietz blades from xstooling on w'net and I am very pleased with them too. I bought a 24 tooth rip blade and a 80 tooth crosscut. I ordered the blades and had them in my hands 2 days later.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
My biggest reasons for being drawn to the Forrest blades are their flattness. From what I've heard they're second to none in that category.

As for the WWII in particular, understand that it's biggest strength is that it does both rip and crosscuts well. A dual-purposed blade that makes a half a**ed cross cut and a half a**ed rip isn't worth a whole lot in my book. I'd rather just buy two blades.

M

McRabbet

Chris,

I just looked up what I paid at Grizzly for my WWII and 5" Stabilizer -- $94.46 for blade and $19.76 for the Stabilizer. Steve referenced a guy named Xcesstooling on Woodnet that sells excellent blades from Germany -- here is the link -- I may buy some as his prices are incredible!

Rob

erasmussen

New User
RAS
There was a very good artical in the nov american woodworker on table saw blades, i scanned it, ocr'ed it put it in pdf format and zipped it.
BUT I CANT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO UPLOAD IT:-:)-(

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:cool: Hey Chris,
Be sure to get WoodGuy's weigh in on this topic. While he seems to like the WWII, he was showing us a comparison of it with another blade he likes better. It had significantly thicker carbide on the blade...can't remember what it was off hand, though...

Good luck,
Chris

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
wsd1089 said:
:cool: Hey Chris,
Be sure to get WoodGuy's weigh in on this topic. While he seems to like the WWII, he was showing us a comparison of it with another blade he likes better. It had significantly thicker carbide on the blade...can't remember what it was off hand, though...

Good luck,
Chris

I have the WWII (no stabilizer) and also the 80 tooth Chopmaster and you can't beat the finish on the ends of the cuts. With a sharp WWII, it almost nullifies the need for a jointer because the cuts are so smooth, you can go from the TS to a glue up without having to joint the edges. There might be some debate on this topic, but it this has been my experience so for me, it is so. I don't use a stabilizer because I feel the 1/8" blade is sufficient to give me a good cut and if a stabilizer is used, it reduces your cut depth by that diameter. Again, speaking from my experiences. There are a lot of blades out there and IMHO, you can't beat the ones from Xcelltooling for the price. I have purchased five from Mike and the one I have on my RAS is just great. 60 tooth negative hook so it doesn't climb and the finish cut is very smooth.
Now for sharpening. I know Forrest recommends sending the blades to them for resharpening but there is an alternative, at least he gets rave reviews on WoodNet. I have contacted him and he gets $4.00 per blade plus $.20 cents per tooth. Minimum blade charge is $10.00. A 40 tooth WWII would cost $12.00 plus shipping. I believe Forrest charges $20.00 for the same configuration. From the reviews he gets, the blades are supposedly sharper than ones sharpened by Forrest. I haven't sent anything his way but I am contemplating sending a couple just to see his quality. Here is his contact info if you are interested.

scottsharpaz@qwest.net

Mike

woodguy1975

New User
John
Do yourself a favor and get the TS2000 blade from Inline Industries. Way more carbide than the WWII and cheaper.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_blade.html

I've personally owned and tried about every blade out there. I love sawblades . The TS2000 is the best 40 tooth general blade on the market. Take my word for it. I promise you won't be let down. This is the best. The CMT 40 tooth general is the worst.

Thanks,

John

M

McRabbet

Chris,

In-line Industries will have a booth at the Charlotte Show. See you there.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS