Forrest vs CMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
I purchased a Forrest 20 ct carbide rip blade earlier this year as a trial. It is a standard kerf blade and works reasonably well. When I use it I notice I get a lot of wobble in the cut no matter how slow I feed the stock. I can live with a little wobble since the rip line will be jointed.

Yesterday I was preparing to rip about 75 bd ft of maple and pulled out the old, 15+ years old with many resharpenings, CMT 28 ct carbide rip blade to see how it compared. Without a doubt, it cut circles around the Forrest. It rip cut faster, smoother and had no wobble even though it is a thin kerf blade. It probably has 2 sharpenings left on the teeth and once they are gone, I will get another one.:icon_thum

My conclusion, a personal conclusion, after trying three other Forrest blades this year, they aren't worth anywhere near what they cost. (My old Bosch 40 ct carbide thin kerf blades cut better than the Forrest blades. They are worn out and have no sharpenings left in them which is the reason I tried Forrest in the first place.) The Forrest blades dull quicker, wobble more, cost more and don't provide the level of service you could reasonably expect from a $100.00 blade. There are better ones out there.

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
When I come across a great tool, I'll tell the whole world.. When a tool, or blade for that matter, isn't all that hot, I'll start shopping for different ones.

With that said, I used to be a huge, huge fan of the Forrest blades. But latley, I've been shopping a bit... I now have a few CMT blades in action in my shop, and have heard good things about the Ridge blades, although I havn't tried them yet...

Not sure what's going on at Forrest the past few years, but like I said, I've been shopping around for others.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I would try their customer service. Maybe I just got lucky but my WWII cuts true, no discernible run-out, stays sharp for a long time etc etc.

bwat

New User
Bill
I used to think the Forrest was best by reputation but have been very pleased with the newer Freud blades. Their glue line rip blades are my choice for that final rip. I haven't pulled out the Forrest blades in quite some time.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I'm getting and have gotten good results from my Freud rip blade. No problems. :icon_thum And, they are affordable.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm getting and have gotten good results from my Freud rip blade. No problems. :icon_thum And, they are affordable.

+1

I never tried the Forrest blades, so I have no opinion. They are just priced way past my ouch point.

I just ordered 2 new Freud blades yesterday and paid just a wee bit under what one Forrest blade would have cost. Have always had good service from Freud blades. They start sharp, stay sharp for a long time and can be sharpened many times.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have been using a woodworker for about 6 months. I can't say that I am real happy with it. I agree that it seems to be somewhat dull already and I have cut maybe 150-200 board feet of lumber on it. My Freuds seem to last much longer. I think that this is the first and last Forrest blade I will own.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have never used a Forrest blade but the Freud blades in various configurations I have used on my RAS and TS have served me well. :wsmile:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I personally haven't had the type of sucess with that I've had with CMT, the CMT blades definitely cost more than alot of others but the perform better from the beginning throeugh the long haul. I also like to use Freud blades, especially their dado set, because they are a good price point. I feel that the quality of Forrest should be at the price of Freud (on sale).

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dollar for dollar, the $17 Delta 7657 from Cripe is hard to beat in my application. Recently, I rebuilt a set of hand rails on a set of front steps. I used treated stock (2 X 8) from which I ripped both rails and waddle. The rip cuts from my 7657 were a lot smoother than the planed sides of the original 2 X 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS