former yankee

Status
Not open for further replies.

former yankee

New User
Chris
Im looking for an adaptor for a lathe. It needs to be 5/8x11tpi female to 1x8tpi male. I dont want to pay for machine time but would like to find a premade one. Thanks :BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am not sure if you are going to be able to find something like that. I was trying to find a drive center for an old lathe I have and thought that there would be an adaptor to go up from #1MT to #2MT. #2MT is much easier to find accessories for. But my research came up empty. It seems that you can step down but not step up. Unless I read your measurements wrong, that sounds like what you want to do. You might try here for either good advice or to find what you might need:

http://www.highlandhardware.com

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
You might want to post the lathe brand and model number and more detail on what your trying to accomplish. There are a few people on the site who can probably help. If not then answers, I 'll get in touch with them.

But I'm pretty sure they'll want more info.

former yankee

New User
Chris
Thanks Ken. Looks like I can make that item work. If it is to large id I can tap and helicoil it. Ordered it this am. When I get it I will be ordering a chuck from Grizzly. This time when told my wife I need more tools she said OK!! And NO, you cant have her!!!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just for the information value, could someone explain what an adapter like this is used for on a lathe and why?. Since I am going to buy a lathe soon, I would like to undertand as much as possible.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
I was trying to find a drive center for an old lathe I have and thought that there would be an adaptor to go up from #1MT to #2MT. Dave:)

DaveO, is this what your are looking for?

192-0005.jpg

NO. 1 TO NO. 2 MORSE TAPER ADAPTER

Designed to adapt smaller Morse Taper centers to fit machines which require larger Morse Taper centers. These do not adapt large Morse Taper centers to fit machines that require smaller Morse Taper centers.

I found this in the Woodturner's Catalog from Craft Supplies USA and it lists for $8.99. Here is the link if this is what you were looking for: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=192-0005

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
former yankee said:
Im looking for an adaptor for a lathe. It needs to be 5/8x11tpi female to 1x8tpi male. I dont want to pay for machine time but would like to find a premade one. Thanks :BangHead:

Yankee, from your description I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but this is something I found Craft Supplies USA.

100-1100.jpg
You will need a threaded adapter insert if you do not have a thread adapter insert from your previous Nova chuck or if you want to use your chuck on more than one lathe.

NOVA CHUCK INSERT 5/8 INCH PLAIN

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=100-1500

You might want to take a look at this link to see if they have something that might help you out.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
DaveO, is this what your are looking for?

192-0005.jpg

NO. 1 TO NO. 2 MORSE TAPER ADAPTER

What I was looking for is the opposite confiiguration. My lathe has a #1 MT, and #2 are more common. But I don't want to steal this thread...I found a #1 drive spur, so I am good. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Just for the information value, could someone explain what an adapter like this is used for on a lathe and why?. Since I am going to buy a lathe soon, I would like to undertand as much as possible.

Steve, the picture and link I posted for Yankee is used to adapt the spindle size that comes with a lathe to the threads of an after market adjustable chuck. I am not sure if this is what he intends to do with it but I thought it might help him out with his search. I hope this answers your question.

Its all just another part of that slippery slope we find ourselves on whenever we buy a new tool.:lol:

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS