Forest Woodworker ll

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Hey Mike,

If you want to do the work at your daughters place, you are welcome to use my tracksaw (or any other tools you need). Or you can swing by and do the work at my house on your way to your daughter's. I'm only about 15-20 minutes away from her.

-Matt

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ouch So sorry that happened. Many if not most router injuries seem to take a lot of meat - very nasty. Looks like yours was clean and will heal well. Trying to understand what cut you, did the bit fly apart? Or maybe the collet?
I am willing to come over and finish the cut, your hand looks a bit too sore to do that
The router must have kicked back and lost my grip. A 1/2 inch by 2 inch spiral cut bit tore a chunk out of my hand. Thanks for the offer, if I can’t function in six weeks I‘ll think about alternatives.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Sorry about that. I had a similar cut and mine healed well - didn't hit any nerves and I sure hope that is the case with you. I wish you a speedy recovery

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am reluctant to post the raw photo here, FB covered it up and I’m ok with that. Two people at work got sick just glancing at it.

if people really want to see I can post it in the off topic forum which is restricted to members only.

Last edited:

striker

New User
Stephen
Very sorry to hear about your accident. I've been a little frisky in the shop lately. If there's a positive note to take away, I think your photo shocked me back to reality to slow down and think first. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, I hope you get well soon!
I was going to make some crack about a hand-tool woodworker using a tool with a cord, but this is not the time or place for that!

My take-away is EXACTLY what Steven said - you have SO much experience and knowledge and you got hurt!
Safety Lesson #1 : slow down and think first!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, I hope you get well soon!
I was going to make some crack about a hand-tool woodworker using a tool with a cord, but this is not the time or place for that!

My take-away is EXACTLY what Steven said - you have SO much experience and knowledge and you got hurt!
Safety Lesson #1 : slow down and think first!
Yes, I think part of it was that I had poor results from the blade I had and all my 7 1/4 inch blades are thin kerf except the old very worn Forrest blade that did work extremely well before is was overused in the wrong wood. That made me very frustrated and rushed when the three stores I visited did not have any blades except the thin kerf. So, yes I rushed, wasn’t thinking clearly, and made a mistake. I’m still not clear exactly what happened. It was so unexpected and surprisingly instantaneous.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Mike, after almost losing two fingers on my table saw six years ago, I know how fast accidents can occur. If I can help you in any way, let me know . . . wishing you a speedy recovery.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, so sorry this happened to you! Accidents happen and they can happen to any one of us...I appreciate the fact that you shared your incident, perhaps it will make us a bit more cautious. I hope you heal quickly.

awldune

Sam
User
A nightmare scenario to have a router run across your hand! I hope it will heal up well.

As a novice router operator, I have always felt safer with the router in hand rather than in a table, so this is an eye opener for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS