For those trying to add accuracy to their work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
No wonder I have never been able to make a wooden air bearing, my tools only go down to the thousandths. :nah:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
A piston fit like that was the goal of the inside trays of the jewelry boxes I used to build. Note I said 'goal'.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
We had a wire EDM at the Fredericksburg GM Powertrain plant. The real value is in its' ability to cut hardened steel stamping die repair details/parts. Before we received the machine we had to machine the die repair details and leave slightly oversize. They were then sent out to be heat treated for hardening and tempering. Then sent back whereby we had to finish grind the details. The wire EDM would cut the die detail part after hardening and therefore saved about 2/3 off the time for the die repair. When you are running a "just in time" delivery schedule, that time saved can be a career saver ! We only ran one day ahead of the assembly plant.

I still have the first part ever run off that wire EDM. A Chevrolet Motor Division bowtie (key chain)

David Turner
North Raleigh

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
We had a wire EDM at the Fredericksburg GM Powertrain plant. The real value is in its' ability to cut hardened steel stamping die repair details/parts. Before we received the machine we had to machine the die repair details and leave slightly oversize. They were then sent out to be heat treated for hardening and tempering. Then sent back whereby we had to finish grind the details. The wire EDM would cut the die detail part after hardening and therefore saved about 2/3 off the time for the die repair. When you are running a "just in time" delivery schedule, that time saved can be a career saver ! We only ran one day ahead of the assembly plant.

I still have the first part ever run off that wire EDM. A Chevrolet Motor Division bowtie (key chain)

David Turner
North Raleigh

David would you have a ballpark figure for how much one of those toys might be? I just sold a few chairs and I have some spare cash around.

Dan

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Dan:

I am thinking we received the machine about mid 1980's and it cost $750,000 but technology is advancing quickly so it may be in the realm of the CNC machines and the special printers they have now.

David Turner
North Raleigh

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
You can easily swing it Dan. You DO still have that 1kA 480v three phase line into your shop, right? See, you're almost home!

K

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Dan:

I am thinking we received the machine about mid 1980's and it cost $750,000 but technology is advancing quickly so it may be in the realm of the CNC machines and the special printers they have now.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Maybe?? I guess I should go back and look at my shop space. I might squeeze it in some corner??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS