For Sale: PORTER-CABLE Biscuit Joiner 557 - Like New - (Sold)

etout00

Erik
Senior User
Like new condition, comes with several different sizes of biscuits and optional measuring tool for cutter.

I’m only selling as I recently purchased a Festool Domino and am trying to reduce my total tool inventory. The jointer works flawlessly.

Price: $125

Attachments

• 5D67A4C9-9AA7-4B62-A7DE-32874518A3E3.jpeg
    5D67A4C9-9AA7-4B62-A7DE-32874518A3E3.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 112
  • CA615443-6190-4DE2-AC47-EDC17547EE40.jpeg
    CA615443-6190-4DE2-AC47-EDC17547EE40.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121
  • 2C1734E0-2977-478B-93C3-D88759997BDA.jpeg
    2C1734E0-2977-478B-93C3-D88759997BDA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • A3089CBF-21A4-4DAA-A051-01F1D970C1B9.jpeg
    A3089CBF-21A4-4DAA-A051-01F1D970C1B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Curious - If "the jointer works flawlessly". Why sell it for a more expensive one?
I don't mean anything negative. Just wondering. Is it just a Festool thing like Snap-On with mechanics?

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Curious - If "the jointer works flawlessly". Why sell it for a more expensive one?
I don't mean anything negative. Just wondering. Is it just a Festool thing like Snap-On with mechanics?
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a biscuit and am interested in a Domino. I figured the Domino is more structural, as in a true floating tenon where the biscuit is more of an alignment aid that doesn't add any strength. Maybe someone else will chime in?

etout00

Erik
Senior User
The Domino joint is drastically different than a biscuit jointer. Dominos are used as a structural and alignment while the biscuit jointer is for alignment (it’s known to not rely in biscuit wafers for structure) They are excellent at alignment though.
Although expensive, the domino jointer is the only loose tenon jointer on the market due to a patent. Definitely not just an expensive brand like snap-on compared to craftsman for instance.

etout00

Erik
Senior User
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a biscuit and am interested in a Domino. I figured the Domino is more structural, as in a true floating tenon where the biscuit is more of an alignment aid that doesn't add any strength. Maybe someone else will chime in?
Correct…biscuit is for alignment and dominos are for alignment and structure.

etout00

Erik
Senior User
It does work flawlessly at what it does, provide accurate alignment. Festool domino jointer serves a different purpose.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
The Domino joint is drastically different than a biscuit jointer. Dominos are used as a structural and alignment while the biscuit jointer is for alignment (it’s known to not rely in biscuit wafers for structure) They are excellent at alignment though.
Although expensive, the domino jointer is the only loose tenon jointer on the market due to a patent. Definitely not just an expensive brand like snap-on compared to craftsman for instance.
Ah! That makes sense. I didn't catch the difference between the biscuit and the domino. (I don't use either.)

AgingHippie

New User
Greg
Here’s an example of where a Domino really shines. There is an extra-long Domino that runs from the upper vertical piece, through the middle shelf, and into the bottom vertical piece. The middle shelf is the only connection to the wall, so the bottom vertical piece is in tension and needs the structural strength of the tenon.

The tenon position is shown in yellow.

741F968D-608E-4469-8193-BE77E941C351.jpeg

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Biscuits do add some structural stability. You can't say a joint just glued together is nearly as strong as the same joint with a biscuit.
But dominos do add a pretty hefty extra level of structure and stability.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Not meaning to undercut Erik on his sale of a biscuit joiner. It's a very fine tool and an accepted way to both align and strengthen a joint. I use a biscuit cutter quite often in repairing stuff that gets thrown my way.

etout00

Erik
Senior User
Can we start a different thread if folks want to discuss their love/hate towards biscuit jointers, hah?

This is a For Sale thread.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS