For Sale - Jet 16-32 Plus Drum Sander - SOLD

Dbush714

DB
User
Back in March, a fellow forum member had this Jet 16-32 Plus drum sander for sale that I was able to purchase. As it turns out, I only used it a little bit (mostly to test out) and subsequently have purchased a Woodmaster 18 inch planer/combo machine that also does drum sanding/gang sawing and molding. As a result, I need to sell this Jet drum sander for the floor space and offset the purchase price on the Woodmaster.

It is the same as it was back in March and I’m only trying to come out even on the transaction. ($800 is what I paid and asking.) It includes the stand, two rolls of sandpaper and manual, all part of the original purchase.

I am in Burnsville (45 minutes NE of Asheville).

3DF2A0BD-3F2B-44C4-944E-4E71748DE220.jpegAB406D27-BE95-49F0-A450-0AC5635181B8.jpeg84E52E61-32A1-433F-9D33-9CF4A6968FD9.jpegD7F7E0CA-3252-4013-A6DD-F3B6D522991C.jpeg6BBFCFDD-92F4-4FA4-97A2-942F0A6BB436.jpegB8DB1E29-E3BA-4D96-9959-7E32035D651B.jpegA3DB39B4-E1BC-4B21-939E-31C05690BE2B.jpeg

Dbush714

DB
User
Back in March, a fellow forum member had this Jet 16-32 Plus drum sander for sale that I was able to purchase. As it turns out, I only used it a little bit (mostly to test out) and subsequently have purchased a Woodmaster 18 inch planer/combo machine that also does drum sanding/gang sawing and molding. As a result, I need to sell this Jet drum sander for the floor space and offset the purchase price on the Woodmaster.

It is the same as it was back in March and I’m only trying to come out even on the transaction. ($800 is what I paid and asking.) It includes the stand, two rolls of sandpaper and manual, all part of the original purchase.

I am in Burnsville (45 minutes NE of Asheville).

View attachment 205864View attachment 205865View attachment 205866View attachment 205867View attachment 205868View attachment 205869View attachment 205870
Hello. Although I have purchased a few items now from the forum, this is my first attempt at selling something.

Recognizing there is an opportunity to learn in all kinds of situations, I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you have viewed this posting, if you would be so kind. As I indicated in the original posting from last Friday, I purchased this back in March from a fellow forum user. I anticipated that there would be significant interest in it.

I’d be appreciative before I post it elsewhere if you would be willing to share any observations. It occurs to me there are several possibilities.
  1. I over paid originally and so $800 is too much to be asking at this point.
  2. Perhaps this machine is not as highly rated as I thought it was and again, the price is too high.
  3. Location is not convenient for most that might be interested.
  4. Something in my original posting is offputting or somehow offensive.
  5. Something else?
If you would prefer, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks in advance for your input. I appreciate it!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey DB
All I can tell you is that I don't really have room, or need for, a sander like this.
Could I use? Sure
Enough to pay several hundred dollars for it? No, especially since I don't really have room for it.

never having been 'in the market' for such a tool, I really have no sense for it's reputation or value - so I am really not much help I know.

I appreciate your thought process though.

I can also comment that other reasoinably priced tools have languished here on NCWW - I think because most of us are reasonably well equipped already (though I don't have a drum sander!). Others often resort to the larger audience of CL or FB marketplace eventually.

Echd

C
User
As someone who buys, sells, and trades a lot on other forums, just my 2 cents.

Location is always a large part of a sale of any tool like this that can't feasibly be shipped. For instance, I emit a particular pheromone that turns off the selling-stuff synapses in the brains of fellow woodworkers, and causes no good deals to be posted within a two hour radius of my house. Sorry to anyone else in the middle of the Piedmont.

This is an item of relatively limited appeal- not that it is a bad tool or a high price, but rather that most people and therefore most of the audience would probably not personally purchase a drum sander. It is of course a very useful item- but it is also one that takes a good deal of floor space, requires some specialty supplies to be kept on hand, and simply won't be used often enough to justify those inconveniences for most people. For myself on the rare occasions I needed a drum sander badly enough to really consider it, I took it to a professional who had a very large one to run for a very reasonable price. Although inconvenient, the nexus of value and rarity that I need one balances in favor of "farming it out".

Hobby size tools like this also get a double whammy in that a professional is likely to buy a much larger one, and an amateur is likely to not buy one at all or take it out to a professional to do on his monster machine. Most amateurs are working out of their garage or maybe a wired workshop- a hobby grade tool that commands considerable floorspace and is of infrequent usefulness would be a difficult sell for the average amateur, and not heavy duty enough for most pros.

This is also not a massively heavily trafficked forum, and therefore the exposure is not tremendous. The handful of sales and purchases this site facilitated for me as an amateur woodworker but professional tool aggregator have been nothing but perfect, but this is not a site that receives gigantic amounts of traffic. Most items that can't be shipped do sit here for a while unless they are in extraordinarily high demand or are a truly phenomenal deal. I know I bought a good quantity of lumber at an excellent price from another member recently who lamented how long his ad sat unanswered, although the lumber was good quantity and the price was around a third of what I would pay commercially.

Given your asking price includes several extras and is still around half of the new MSRP, I think the price is fair, it's just a limited market even among woodworkers. But many of us are also very cheap, and often used woodworking tools do go for half or less of their MSRP.

Last edited:

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Having bought a drum sander last year (off a ncww member), I can say that I love mine and use it often. I don't think your asking price is unreasonable, especially with the infeed/outfeed tables, extra sandpaper, and mobile base. For a while there, there was a glut of people looking for a drum sander, and they didn't last long after they posted. I had to drive 3 hours each way to pick up mine. But like anything, demand will ebb & flow. When I was still searching for one, there was one at a local auction. A 16-32 Performax but not nearly in as good of shape as yours. It went for $1050! And that's not counting the hammer fees. THAT is overpaying.

I also understand the above posters point about floor space. The sander I bought (Supermax 25-50) is WAAAAAY too big for my shop. But it was such a good deal, and I like it so much I made it fit and learned to work around it :D I originally bought it to sand segmented rings before gluing. And I've used it for everything BUT what I bought it for.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hi DB - a couple comments:

Good photos. The machine looks very clean. Your ad is easy to understand.

I don't have an opinion on price, but if you think it's priced fairly - and there's supposedly a shortage of all sorts of machinery - then you just aren't getting enough exposure.

-Mark

Dbush714

DB
User
Henry, C Echd (?), James and Mark,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your input and perspective. You all make great points, especially with respect to what I’ll call market saturation (“already got one”), too specialized to need (even though it’s really cool!), takes up more space than I can afford and/or too far. Some of those actually should have applied to me, too, but I bought it anyway! LOL

Oh well, as Henry and Mark suggest, probably have to widen the audience. The good news is, I was able to make the other purchase anyway and move this to another area outside the shop, so I can be patient.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!

David

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with James,
I too bought mine from a member and looked for a long time and stuck a GREAT deal!
Now I see more for sale than I think I did for the past 3 years!

With so many people making end-grain cutting boards, I will bet when you "widen the audience" it will be gone!
I think your price is more than fair, especially due to how clean your machine is, but I have seen them MUCH cheaper and that draws in the "I want it crowd" rather than only the "I need it crowd"

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
DB,

I've thought about your sander. I'm interested in getting one at some point. Price seems good and I much prefer buying from someone on here for lots of reasons. But I've bought several expensive items this year including a SS PCS so I can't really justify getting something else especially now having 3 kids and zero time in my shop. Good luck!

Dbush714

DB
User
DB,

I've thought about your sander. I'm interested in getting one at some point. Price seems good and I much prefer buying from someone on here for lots of reasons. But I've bought several expensive items this year including a SS PCS so I can't really justify getting something else especially now having 3 kids and zero time in my shop. Good luck!
Thanks, Parker. I kind of binged this year myself, so I understand, though well past the kid stage.
(Enjoy that time while you have it!)

Dbush714

DB
User
Lots of demand for drum sanders on the many Facebook cuttingboard/charcuterie groups.
Thanks, Mark. I’m not on Facebook (maybe one of the only people on the planet who’s not), so I’ll have to see if I can tap into that audience. Appreciate the lead.
DB

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I’m not on Facebook (maybe one of the only people on the planet who’s not), so I’ll have to see if I can tap into that audience.
Nope. There are plenty of us curmudgeons who don't do FB. Nothing about it looks remotely appealing to me. Maybe if I had a business to promote I'd view it differently.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks, Mark. I’m not on Facebook (maybe one of the only people on the planet who’s not), so I’ll have to see if I can tap into that audience. Appreciate the lead.

Nope. There are plenty of us curmudgeons who don't do FB. Nothing about it looks remotely appealing to me. Maybe if I had a business to promote I'd view it differently.
We have over 5,000 members in NC Woodworker's Facebook group. Same rules as here as far as being a resident or having a connection to NC, being nice to each other, and staying away from politics and religion. Posts and discussions are in a slightly different format but easy to navigate.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
We have over 5,000 members in NC Woodworker's Facebook group. Same rules as here as far as being a resident or having a connection to NC, being nice to each other, and staying away from politics and religion. Posts and discussions are in a slightly different format but easy to navigate.
Wouldn't Facebook Marketplace be the preferred classifieds venue on Facebook?

-Mark, also not a Facebook user

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS