For Sale: Clear 4/4 and 5/4 Banak and 5/4 Mahogany

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterK

New User
Pete
For sale in Durham, NC is 4/4 and 5/4 Banak as well as 5/4 Mahogany

5/4 Mahogany is 400 board feet. It is planed on both sides. 5/4 x 5-9'' x 9-10'.
5/4 Banak is 500 board feet. The boards are rough cut. 5/4 x 4-9'' x 13'2''.
4/4 Banak is +/-85 board feet. 4/4 x 4-6'' x 6'.

All the wood is kiln dried and shows absolutely no signs of warping, all wood has been kept indoors.

$ 1.00 per board foot for Banak
$ 2.50 per board foot for Mahogany

44_banak_54B_M_004.JPG

View image in gallery
Left: 5/4 Banak (black ends)
Right: 5/4 Mahogany (white and green ends)​

Last edited:

PeterK

New User
Pete
I just wanted to add that all of the wood is still available. To clarify, the low prices reflect that the owner of this lumber, my boss Howard, is retiring soon, leaving the area for Chiapas, Mexico where he'll be growing Cocoa. The Mahogany was purchased from a saw mill outside of Asheville, NC about five years ago. Slowly but surely he and I are trying to advertise his entire collection of new and reclaimed lumber.

I just want to mention that other materials are available. Below are some pictures of several thousand board feet of Heart Pine and White Oak, including QS.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM or call me
Peter (919) 619-8217

Last edited:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Pete, is there a quantity that is 'too small' for Howard to deal with? Has he considered joining NCWW and putting up a classified for a 'yard sale' day when he can entertain the option of mass arrivals for small quantity purchases? Just askin'.

Thanks,

Dean

PeterK

New User
Pete
Pete, is there a quantity that is 'too small' for Howard to deal with? Has he considered joining NCWW and putting up a classified for a 'yard sale' day when he can entertain the option of mass arrivals for small quantity purchases? Just askin'.

Thanks,

Dean

Dean,

We are indeed selling bf minimums. At this time they are set at 100 bf minimum for Mahogany, and 200 bf minimum purchase for Banak and Soft Wormy Maple. Like you guessed, he's trying to sell larger quantities. However, I think your idea for a sort of yard sale day is an excellent one. I think that I'd like to run that by him to see if we can set something like that up in the coming weeks. It has been my observation that most folks want only smaller quantities, usually between 20 and 80 board feet. With that said, it has been difficult to lose the interest of so many wood workers recently when I tell them about minimum purchases. Your recommendation could be a solution for Howard, who is extremely busy with finishing jobs and preparing for his move, and myself with trying to get interested folks to come over and look at what we have.

Thanks Dean,
Peter

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Peter - you're welcome. I did something recently that was similar to what Howard's doing, only on a much smaller scale - I sold off a storage unit's worth of UHMW and other engineering plastics through NCWW. The sale was necessitated by my move from our house in Durham and it had to get done fast.

I put up a classified on NCWW and what was nice about getting the crowd here involved is that, being the wonderful group of humans they are, the NCWW crew helped get everything sold by word of mouth. Having a day where people can see what's offered first hand will also result in that very effective and time honored tradition of 'passing the word along', which is such the effective means of advertising!

I wish you guys the best and hope to see a 'yard sale' listed eventually.

Good luck!

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
if anyone near Holly Springs is buying any I would like to tag along. I have a 2 dr civic coupe that makes buying the minimum kinda difficult :gar-La; Maybe we can team up to meet the minimum.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I need some more mahogany to build matching benches for my table. Is there any left, what sort of payment is accepted and what days are you there? Thanks in advance.....

PeterK

New User
Pete
Hey everybody,

Well, based on a recommendation by Dean, Howard and I will be making plans for the Open House day at his property. Tomorrow afternoon we'll be going over the inventory, which is vast, to get together a more complete list with some prices and planning the event. This is a large task, so please expect the list to have some estimations. Expect for details about the Open House Day on this thread soon as well!

Mike and Paul--I'm sorry but all the Mahogany has been sold, but everything else in the original post is still available.

Mike, to answer your questions, we would prefer that folks pay in cash, especially for smaller purchases. We're here Monday-Saturday, just contact us first with what you're interested in and to set up a time to come by.

Paul, we have +/- 100,000 bf of new and reclaimed materials that we're going to be going over tomorrow afternoon and posting information about shortly. Quickly though, we already have posted old Heart Pine, 250 year old White Oak, Sycamore, Banak, Soft Wormy Maple, with many other species of varying dimensions and quantities that we're working on posting. I'll just ask that everybody hang tight while we get a better list together.

Scott, We actually do not have any Cherry, sorry to say.

For now just stay tuned to the thread for more info, thanks

Peter
(919) 619-8217

PeterK

New User
Pete
Open House Reclaimed Lumber Sale

5401 Friends School Road, Durham, NC 27705 on Saturday July 9th from 9:00 A.M. -- 2:00 P.M. (Refreshments provided)

Up for sale +/- 100,000 board feet of quality, unique reclaimed and antique lumber salvaged in North Carolina over the last 24 years. Buy great wood from old homes, barns and downtown buildings. All wood has been stored dry as well as spray-protected from insects. Examples Include:

• White Oak-- (including QS and T&G) 1'' stock up to 7''x14'' logs. Several thousand board feet in all thicknesses, widths and lengths. Some pieces as old as 250 years.
• Old Heart Pine (including T&G) 1'' stock up to 8’’x8’’ beams. Several thousand board feet in all thicknesses, widths and lengths.
• Sycamore-- 5/8’’-3'' th x 6’’-18'' wide x 9' long. Several thousand board feet.
• Soft Wormy Maple-- 5/4, 864 board feet
• Banak-- 5/4, 500 board feet. Also 4/4, 90 board feet
• Ash—substantial quantities.
• Buckeye-- ''
• Hickory-- ''
• Tiger/Flame Maple-- ''

+more, as well as various power tools and hand tools for sale

The owner of the materials is Durham resident Howard Staab, a woodworker with over 40 years of experience. Howard currently makes small homes and cabinets in NC and has built structures from Nicaragua to Antarctica. He’ll be hanging up his tool belt this Fall, which is why he is selling his salvaged lumber now.

IMG_20110625_172252.jpg

View image in gallery
Kitchen table by Howard​

5401 Friends School Road, Durham, NC 27705
Saturday July 9th 9:00 A.M.-2:00 P.M.
Cash Preferred, Checks Accepted​

Thank you for reading, I hope to see you all there
Peter Kostin
(919) 619-8217

PeterK

New User
Pete
Hey Steve,

We were selling bf minimums until recently, 100 bf for example in the case of the Banak, but the idea behind the open house day was to get more folks over who are interested in both larger and smaller quantities, so it is safe to assume that the bf minimum will be more flexible that day.

Banak--$1.00 pbf
Soft Wormy Maple--$1.40 pbf
Sycamore-- $2.00 for each board
Oak flooring-- $2.00 psf

I don't have the exact prices for the rest, but as you can see from the prices above, they are more than reasonable. I will call Howard and see if I can get him to give me the prices for the rest of the materials.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Peter

PeterK

New User
Pete
We do have other species, including walnut.

There are 8 pieces of Walnut. Off hand, they are either 4/4 or 5/4, roughly 7''--10'' wide, 10' lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS