foot pedal options for Dewalt 788?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
While working on my bookmarks this weekend, it occurred to me that it would be useful to replace the on/off switch with a foot pedal, so I would not have to take my hand off the work every time I wanted to stop and turn the piece. I feel like I do NOT want speed control via the pedal -- my thinking is that I worked the entire time on the same speed and foot control of the speed would add another way for me to screw up, rather than making it simpler and faster.

So...do the foot pedals also control the speed? What are my options here?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
FWIW, you would not be able to use a speed controlled foot pedal any how unless DeWalt has a specific accessory foot pedal designed to integrate with the scrollsaw's internal speed controller circuitry (i.e. never feed speed controlled or soft-start enabled device with another external speed controller).

The foot pedal that Jim mentions above is an extremely common unit available from countless sources. I know that in the past Sears has actually sold it (I have one of my own that I use with my routers sometimes that came from Sears -- I don't know if they still carry them). They are typically rated at 10-13 Amps max, which is more than adequate for any scrollsaw. Just be aware that if your work light draws its power from the same cord (rather than a seperate cord) as the scrollsaw then it, too, will turn on and off with the foot pedal.

There are also other foot pedal models available that include a guard over the pedal that is meant to prevent one from accidentally stepping on the pedal. I have one like that which came with my scrollsaw, but I really don't see the value of the guard for a scrollsaw.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are also other foot pedal models available that include a guard over the pedal that is meant to prevent one from accidentally stepping on the pedal. I have one like that which came with my scrollsaw, but I really don't see the value of the guard for a scrollsaw.

You will the first time you accidentally step on it when changing blades. It won't hurt you but it will sure scare the "stuffing" out of you.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The type of foot switch you want is a simple "dead man" switch. Used one on my Dewalt 788 for years. Can't work as well without it! Happy sawdusting!

mtdawg

New User
jim
You will the first time you accidentally step on it when changing blades. It won't hurt you but it will sure scare the "stuffing" out of you.

Gotta second that remark. I have had to train myself to take my foot off the pedal while changing blades. As ScottM said, it won't hurt but will add to your grey hairs. I've lost count of the number of towns I've done that to myself.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have it on good authority the the jolly fat man has a pedal to go under my tree. This one will be a deadman switch. I had a VS in the past which only controlled speed on universal motors (router and rotary tools). I now have a router speed control dial for those that I will use in combination so I can get the rotary speed more consistent and not accidentally kick it up a notch if I reposition slightly. Being the [STRIKE]cheapskate[/STRIKE] thrifty woodworker that I am, I will share it between a few tools and will use it on the scroll saw as well. I will have to check the amps on it, but it could also be a nice safety feature for cutting with the angle grinder; mine is one of those where you lock the switch and have to press again in just the right spot to unlock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors