Food Prep Surface Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Building a roll-around cabinet for kitchen. Top is QS white oak, 24" deep x 44" wide, and will be treated with mineral oil so that it can be used as a food preparation surface. Would like advice on whether to put breadboard ends on it or just leave exposed end grain. The breadboard ends would help maintain flatness (although I do not expect a lot of movement with the mineral oil in it) and would give a more finished appearance, but also create an open joint that could trap food particles and liquids, etc. Most of the time the ends won't be visible as it will be nestled between a fixed counter top and a wall.

Would appreciate any perspective on the pros and cons of with or without the end caps.

Thanks

Go

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I would go with HM only. Beech likes to warp quicker that HM. I have European Beech planter boxes and as soon as they got wet, bowed like I've never seen before. I imagine any of our domestic beeches would act similar since they wood grain structure is similar.
HM will also hold the MO longer and have less pores and such to hold food particles. Bruce is 100% right with this. I have a center island with a QSWO top and it's never clean like I would like it to be. As for breadboards, I wouldn't. I would trim it if absolutely necessary but would much prefer just plain ends. Wood won't warp if all you joints are true and pieces not too wide. I would go no wider than 2". I would also wax the top with bees wax after MO to fill some of the pores you can't see. My QSWO top doesn't warp without breadboard ends and it gets used heavily. You will be happier with HM in the long run IMHO.

I would go with either beech, or hard maple for top. Less pores to trap bacteria.

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I should have stated that the white oak board for the top has already been glued up, but had not been milled, etc or cut to final size awaiting the decision on the breadboard ends. I will definitely consider hard maple in the future, especially if I make a chopping block surface.

I will not be using the breadboard ends, but will use the tip on the bees wax. I had forgotten that one.

Thank you all for coming through again. I appreciate it.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors