Foley belsaw

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I currently have a dewalt 735 planer, I was wondering if it would be an upgrade to sell this planer and buy the foley belsaw planer that is for sale on the site for 450.00. Really like the dewalt but always looking to upgrade.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mike ....... we all want to work for another 30 years ........ It's just ....... age gets in the way ........ :D

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
It depends on what you consider an upgrade.

I have a belsaw 9103 and a delta lunch box planer 22-560 and will make a few observations. I picked up the belsaw several years ago at a decent price.

The belsaw is much better at taking heavier stock and planing more in a single pass (currently planing 8/4x12”x8’). The belsaw is loud! It also takes up a lot more space. It’s also a lot more stout than the delta.

The delta is convenient when I need to run a board or two. I can take it with me and it stores a lot easier than the belsaw. The Delta also leaves a smoother finish.

I got by with the delta for years and ran 8/4x8’ white oak and cherry (and a lot of pine) through it with an auxiliary planer bed.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
You’re welcome Ron!

I’ll add that if I were to do it over I would buy a larger planer—at least a 15”.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I currently have a dewalt 735 planer, I was wondering if it would be an upgrade to sell this planer and buy the foley belsaw planer that is for sale on the site for 450.00. Really like the dewalt but always looking to upgrade.
I would keep both, as they serve different needs. I have both a Delta 22-540, and a Delta DC-380 (15"), along with a Rockwell 13" (similair to a PM 100 in size.) The 540 sees the most use, due to portability. This week, the 380 will be put to the test, as I building a farm table for son from reclaimed lumber from a building that was built in 1910. Have to reduce 2" thick rough boards to 1 1/2".

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
do you like tinkering and adjusting to get good results on older equipment? are you up for a learning curve on set up and learning how to set knives? Do you want to potentially run some moulding? The belsaw should offer that option if it has the right attachments.

with the 735 the results to effort to get them are unmatched to anything on the market. that is my opinion, granted i've only used mine a dozen times over the last 15 years, but it is a great machine

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS