Folding shelf brackets

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'm building a miter saw station. It's basically a kitchen-style base cabinet except on casters. Everything is done except the wings.

I'm undecided as to how to proceed. One idea I had is to use folding shelf brackets like these to raise the wings:

1595445383921.png

With a weight rating between 150 and 500 lbs. per pair, it seems like an easy way to attach the wings and they don't cost a whole lot more than hinges.

Anyone have any experience with these?

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
It looks like an interesting solution. My concerns would be any sagging over time, and that the hinges would set at exactly 90 degrees. Anything out of tolerance will be evident over the length of the wing. Not as important if the shelf is the same length as the bracket like in the picture. The advantage of this is that you don't have to install wing supports.

I just completed mine, and I used continuous hinges, and the wing supports have furniture levelers so that it can be adjusted and fine tuned to be level with the bed. The wings were a torsion box, built with a thickness equal to the miter saw bed height.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors