Folding Beach Chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Just thought I'd share a drawing I made this morning. A guy on another woodworking forum was looking for plans for this type of chair. He didn't really like the one from Ana White so I drew this more traditional one for him. I think the plans won't even warrant drawings. A list of cuts and holes to drill ought to be enough.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So do we have a fabrics forum to understand how to make the sling?:rotflm:

Seriously, how was the fabric installed?
Slid over the dowels and then the dowels were glued or nailed in place?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hank, on the ones we had when I was a kid, there was a strip of canvas sewn to the underside maybe 10 inches from each end. There was a row of eyelets in that strip and another row near the end of the sling. String was laced between them and pulled up like lacing a boot. You had a bit of adjustment for how taut the sling was by adjusting the lacing. There's a similar chair shown on Ana White that uses 1x2s for the cross members. There's a pair of them with a slot between them. The sling has a tube sewn in each end. You push the fabric through the slot and slide a dowel into the tube. The dowel is too large to pass through the slot and retains the sling. I suppose there are other ways, too.

Last edited:

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Here's a pic of one I made a while ago. Just a tube sewn in the ends of the sling and you put the cross members through when you're putting the chair together. Mine is fabric used for boat covers, etc.

chairs2.JPG

Tom S.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, on the ones we had when I was a kid, there was a strip of canvas sewn to the underside maybe 10 inches from each end. There was a row of eyelets in that strip and another row near the end of the sling. String was laced between them and pulled up like lacing a boot. You had a bit of adjustment for how taught the sling was by adjusting the lacing. There's a similar chair shown on Ana White that uses 1x2s for the cross members. There's a pair of them with a slot between them. The sling has a tube sewn in each end. You push the fabric through the slot and slide a dowel into the tube. The dowel is too large to pass through the slot and retains the sling. I suppose there are other ways, too.
O.K. I was evisioning a dowel holding the fabric. So it woul have to be inserted into a hole in the side frame. from your explanation and tom's picture (his appears to be screwed onto the side frame - then you could replace the fabric...

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Thanks Hank!! The Adirondack is sitting now on my front porch. The sling chair is waiting to go to any new owner, resting in an extra room in our house. I really liked the look of the sling chair and the build was pretty simple and fun. However, I think it's a little lightweight though. It'd probably be great as a child's chair.

Got the wood for both from Scott Smith.

Tom

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The ones we had weren't screwed to the frame, the eyelets in the fabric were used to lace it on over the dowels.

I did a quick modification to my drawing. The fabric on this version is folded back on itself and sewn to make a tube into which a dowel can be inserted. Those dowels lock the fabric between two dowels in the frame.

Tom, those are both nice looking chairs.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Several years ago I made a pair of unfinished cypress high-boy folding beach chairs for my son in Virginia Beach. They're nice on a deck and get you elevated above the railing for a clear view. Here's a basic one from lyptus. The hardware is 316 ss for sal####er durability.

P8060121.jpg

The seating is woven rope like these from Nags Head Hammocks.

http://nagsheadhammocks.com/detail.php?id=NHBS-K

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Tom, extra points for the headrest on your design. :cool:

Jeff, is the #### your own, or an automated process that looks for profanities?

Jeff

New User
Jeff

I think that it's automated. My original one word spelling of "salt water" was the problem and you can decipher that.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Tom, extra points for the headrest on your design. :cool:

It is the result of an automated censor that looks for certain common offensive phrases that can appear from time to time in heated discussions, misspellings, and among new members that have not yet learned the etiquette of our site. A lot of work has gone into refining it over the years to reduce false positives, but there will always be some common misspellings and words seldom used on this site that will trigger censoring from time to time.

I've gone ahead and tightened the rules around this particular censored word so you all are free to restore the original spelling of "saltwater", if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors