Flying Roman Ogee?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I had a Roman Ogee bit in my old Craftsman mounted in my router table yesterday and had an interesting event. The doggone bit just about worked its way completely out of the collet. Needless to say the edge I was trying to cut went totally waco!:BangHead: Fortunate for me I noticed it before the bit became airborne!

I seem to recall a similar issue in one of the forums a few weeks back, but can’t remember the solution. :oops: I bottomed out the bit, raised it about a 1/16” and tightened the collet with what I thought was reasonable force before I started, but it still let loose. Should I invest in a new collet? (I know, I know …I should get rid of the router and mount by DW618 fixed base in the table.) The router does not too bad in table even with the 1/4" collet.

Any ideas would definately be appreciated! (B4 I get hurt!:bcry: )

Thanks,

Wayne

Monty

New User
Monty
ahhh yes, the old Craftsman self-adjusting collet strikes again!!! 8-O Glad you weren't hurt. My suggestion? See my link on the Hitachi M12V at Amazon. :mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ah, the famous self adjusting Craftsman router collet. I had that happen a few weeks ago and the bit just about came up through the piece of plywood I was cutting a dado in. My solution, made a new router table and mounted my DW618 in it. Actually I had been wanting to make the table with the DW router for awhile, that incident just kicked my butt in gear.
It sounds like your bit installation procedure wasn't at fault, nor was mine. I think that the collets on some of the Craftsman routers just suck. Glad you didn't get hurt. You might check the thread about Wanting a New Router...Insom. posted a great deal on the Hiatchi M12. I would have gotten it for my table at that price. I hated giving up my fixed base for the DW618, I may order another one for $30 to replace it someday.
Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Yep, new router time. I have an old Craftsman that I'm afraid to throw away because someone may scrounge it from the trash and use it.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Steve D said:
Yep, new router time. I have an old Craftsman that I'm afraid to throw away because someone may scrounge it from the trash and use it.

I had old power tools from my Dads collection that were too far gone to use safely. What I did was cut off the power cord and took it to the dump myself. Maybe you should do that with your old router. Most people won't go through the trouble of replacing the cord.

Monty

New User
Monty
LOL!!! You guys acting like Craftsman routers are hazardous waste! Too funny!!! :lol:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Guys,

I was afraid of those responses. I may just have to invest in a Kevlar vest and hard hat 'til pay day!:oops: This is first time I have had the issue and I guess it kinda shook me up a wee bit.

I have a Dewalt fixed as well - so I may take DaveO's route and stick in the table. (The Crapsman was my first router a number of years ago.... and you guys know how hard it is to let things go!:cry: ....especially TOOLS!!!!

I will just keep checking and double checking until the transfer is done.

Thanks anyway for your input....

Wayne

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Fortunately, I don't have a craftsman router. I have never heard of anyone that knew routers who liked them. I suspect that much of the collet problem is a result of inexperience; as they have a craftsman router.:rolf:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well! All you guys made me cave in! I found a new DW616 for $110 today :lol: and plan on swapping the old Craftsman out of the RT. It has a little less power than my DW618, but the fixed base will work on both routers so I can swap out the two Dewalt motors is if I need a little more power and the VS.

Now ain't you guys proud of me severing myself from the Craftsman! (B4 it severs an appendage of mine!!!!:cry: )

Thanks for all of your advice!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS